Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on this M16 camo helmet

Article about: I was thinking of starting up a small collection of some WWI items to compliment my WWII militaria and I was hoping to get some opinions on this M16 helmet. I know absolutely nothing about t

Default Opinions on this M16 camo helmet

I was thinking of starting up a small collection of some WWI items to compliment my WWII militaria and I was hoping to get some opinions on this M16 helmet. I know absolutely nothing about these so any opinions would be most welcome. Thanks.

Todd

Opinions on this M16 camo helmetOpinions on this M16 camo helmetOpinions on this M16 camo helmetOpinions on this M16 camo helmetOpinions on this M16 camo helmetOpinions on this M16 camo helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on this M16 camo helmet
    P
    Many

Looks like it's had a coat of varnish at sometime but i'll give it a cautious thumbs up!....

I am actually going to give it s thumbs down - original shell but a modern paint job IMO, look at the thick dirty brush lines in the 'varnish' introducing dirt to it toappear aged. have a look at some on the lids someplace like virtual grenadier and you'll see the patina of real ones are very distinct and the colours over time darken under oxidation on the surface.

If you have it in hand smell it - if it has any aroma of VOC's it is recent. The old paints were linseed oil based and will have long ago lost any smell. Also if you look at any scratch locations it should be evenly oxidized. If you can get away with it a discrete scratch test will reveal a lot. If the scratch shows bright fresh paint the paint job is likely legitimate. If it looks equally dirty at depth to the surface it is faked with dirt or coal dust added to the paint to artificially patinate it.

MAP
    ?

Per Asterperious...Have a look at the paint and patina on this one

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...-shell-519461/

also look at Germanwarbooty.com. he has 3 or 4 to compare to.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks like a modern paint job with antiquing overwash in an attempt to create a look of period piece.

Macro close ups of the paint would verify one way or the other.
    Regards,
    John

At first look I didn't like it. I could be wrong, but I would keep looking. It doesn't look like a real one with a recent coat of varnish even, to me. Also, I'm not to sure I like the "scratch test" idea either. I would never suggest damaging a helmet on purpose, even if I thought it was recently painted!

Thanks for all the input everyone, I'll be sure to pass on this one. Also I'm overjoyed to find out that collecting WWI militaria is going to be just as complicated as collecting WWII items....

Probably moreso given the greater age of WW1 pieces, I have only a few pieces and whilst interesting as they are, I do have to say I prefer the relatively more abundant WW2 items.

?

I have 4 Camo lids, this one does not look right to me either, paint looks faked.

Just My Thoughts

Dean O