MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!

Article about: by oradour donkihotis, this type of German writing is called "Sutterlinshrift" or "Sutterlin" for short, an old German cursive script developed in the 16th Century after

Default Re: Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!

Ok finally found some free time to take photos of the set.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!   Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!  

Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!   Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!  

Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!
    P
    Many

more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!   Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!  

Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!   Opinions needed about this cased EKII wth document!!!!  

KSH
    ?

Beautiful

Reading the Vorläufiger Ausweis, I believe it was awarded to Infanterist (private) Englbert Maaskuber of the Landwehr (24th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Company). Can anyone identify what it says before "Inf. Reg." in the top left, it seems to starts with an 'R' and then an 'a' I think. Might it rather be an abbreviation for 'Reserve'? All this is probably obvious to most of the members, but I need to practice reading these handwritten certificates in German. So just correct me where I go wrong I have a LOT to learn about the Imperial German armed forces and their organization.

- Kenneth

Quote by KSH View Post
    Beautiful

Reading the Vorläufiger Ausweis, I believe it was awarded to Infanterist (private) Englbert Maaskuber of the Landwehr (24th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Company). Can anyone identify what it says before "Inf. Reg." in the top left, it seems to starts with an 'R' and then an 'a' I think. Might it rather be an abbreviation for 'Reserve'? All this is probably obvious to most of the members, but I need to practice reading these handwritten certificates in German. So just correct me where I go wrong I have a LOT to learn about the Imperial German armed forces and their organization.

- Kenneth
    Hey Kenneth, can you read German? Very nice. This type of WWI period, German writing, is hard even for German to read. I forgot how it is called.
    By the way if anyone knows who is the maker it would be a great help. It looks like an exclamation mark (!). Very weird

KSH
    ?

Quote by donkihotis7 View Post
    Hey Kenneth, can you read German? Very nice. This type of WWI period, German writing, is hard even for German to read. I forgot how it is called.
    By the way if anyone knows who is the maker it would be a great help. It looks like an exclamation mark (!). Very weird
    I read German fairly well yes. But reading period handwriting is as you say a challenge for us today. The important thing is to keep practicing reading different documents and then it gets easier every time. The handwriting on this one seems to be somewhat related to Sütterlinschrift, but it is much closer to modern writing than that and thus easier to read.

- Kenneth

Mpravo. That's it, sutterlin. I couldn't remember it

Quote by donkihotis7 View Post
    This type of WWI period, German writing, is hard even for German to read. I forgot how it is called.
    donkihotis, this type of German writing is called "Sutterlinshrift" or "Sutterlin" for short, an old German cursive script developed in the 16th Century after the demise of Gothic script....very difficult to read, last taught in German schools between 1933-1941 ! Kenneth, the abrieviation is "Bay" for "Bayerisches" (Bavaria) not an "R", not a Landwehr unit either but a wartime raised Regiment, the "Königlich Bayerisches Infanterie Regiment Nr 24". Hope this helps.
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi Steve thanks for your help too
    Have you ever seen before this weird marking on the ring? Any known maker?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast