Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on two Pickelhaube

Article about: Both look authentic, but opionions are welcome. If possible, what would you estimate a good price on both (I'm buying, not selling). Thanks in advance! 1st lid...

?

Default Opinions on two Pickelhaube

Both look authentic, but opionions are welcome. If possible, what would you estimate a good price on both (I'm buying, not selling). Thanks in advance!

1st lid...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on two Pickelhaube   Opinions on two Pickelhaube  

Opinions on two Pickelhaube   Opinions on two Pickelhaube  

Opinions on two Pickelhaube  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on two Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Opinions on two Pickelhaube

2nd lid...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on two Pickelhaube   Opinions on two Pickelhaube  

im no expert for this hauben just wanna say they look great, have to find one for my self

?

Thanks, Klinger. Hopefully I can make one of these my first.

Eric, first one is a nice Model 1915 Pickelhaube, with "Prussian" wappen, in good condition, with regimentals and issue mark, looks to be "BA XVII" (Clothing stores 17th Army Corps, a Prussian Army Corps, covering West Prussia, HQ at Danzig), good full lining, complete, approx $400. The second one a rather 'ratty' Baden wappened M15 Pickelhaube, partial liner, no regimentals, (so no proof it has always had the Baden badge), it is sporting a "Saxon" type non-serrated Reichs cockade (which is rare, on its own worth $60 !),It is incomplete, missing its correct cockades and chinstrap, however there is damage to the shell around the right M91 chinstrap mount that will be difficult to repair/restore...unless cheap, I would look for another "Baden", in better condition. In good condition a Baden helm is worth approx $500-600, in this condition, I would say no more than $250 tops. Eric, it is also important when buying, to ask the seller about "double holes", are there extra holes or filled holes to the front of the helm, as originally, the helmet would only have two, to accomodate the original wappen/badge, each State wappen had a different gap size between the mounting hoops on the back.
    Hope this helps....Prost! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 08-16-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Oradour. Thank you for the information. I hope to purchase a pickelhaube in the near future and the information on the holes is something I just learned from you. .

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Oradour. Thank you for the information. I hope to purchase a pickelhaube in the near future and the information on the holes is something I just learned from you. .
    tampalam, no problem, glad to be of assistance, this advice is "bread and butter" to go ahead a bit :- when manufactured the Pickelhaube will have recieved two holes for what ever wappen/badge was to be fitted, they would be metal grommeted (Brass or grey metal depending on year model), however it is possible to see more than one set of holes that were put there originally, these would be put there by "Repair facilities" where helmets picked up after the battle, would be rebuilt with a view to be reissued (and would be stamped accordingly, usually "BJA" then the corps number), when this occured, it would be in order to accomodate another "State" badge, and the original holes would be filled to a high standard (you would have to look at the back to tell!). Of course a soldier could of been reasigned to another "States" regiment, say a Prussian to a Wurttemburg regt, and in that case he would simply exchange badges, and most probably make the new holes with a knife !...but of course these days, this is done to alter a helmet into a more desirable and expensive one ! IMO always best to have regimental markings to match the wappen/badge.

?

Thank you for the sage advice, Steve! As you know, I’m very green when it comes to these lids, so I’m trying to take in as much information as I can. I of course want to get my hands on one (not too many available in my area) so I can see firsthand what to look for. This way I feel more confident with future purchases. Plus, the militaria junkie in me make me want one now!

I trust your judgment 110% so I’ll steer towards the M15 with the Prussian wappen as it is correct, unless of course the lid with the Baden wappen is available at a ridiculously low price! I assume the presence of additional holes to accommodate a different wappen, if not a “factory” reissue, would decrease the helmets value. Would you still estimate top value at $250, or would this drop substantially?

Eric, the Baden plate is a rarer than the Prussian one, so on this point alone I will stick with my first estimate...it is its condition not its rarity in this instance, as good Baden helms are frequently offered for sale.... and I feel that the Prussian M15 Pickelhaube is the best place to start a collection, and that one looks good. This is my personal belief.How much are they, and are from a dealer ?

When I decided to buy a helmet, I asked lots of people about what I should look for in buying a helmet and not getting ripped off.

Condition, condition,condition. I was told that ssooooooooooo
    many times. I didn't want to spend more than $500 so my opinions were really limited.

If you want a helmet that you can be proud of, and one that
    you are some point you might want to resale it, the first thing
    to look for is a liner. Most real collectors don't even look at
    helmets with out liners. Then comes original fittings and regimental markings.

Good helmets at reasonable prices are out there. Sometimes
    a person needs to exercise a lot of patience but it will be worth
    it in the long run. I spent $550 and found a nice helmet on ebay
    of all places.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.