Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Orden Türkei Gallipoli Stern 1 Weltkrieg

Article about: Hi guys, would kindly ask you to give me your views on this badge. I know that unfortunately there are good copies and would like to make sure that this is not one of them. If I had to give

Default Orden Türkei Gallipoli Stern 1 Weltkrieg

Hi guys, would kindly ask you to give me your views on this badge. I know that unfortunately there are good copies and would like to make sure that this is not one of them. If I had to give an assessment on the badge I would say it s good, looks to be the right construction in buntmetal, regards, Juan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orden Türkei Gallipoli Stern 1 Weltkrieg   Orden Türkei Gallipoli Stern 1 Weltkrieg  

Orden Türkei Gallipoli Stern 1 Weltkrieg   Orden Türkei Gallipoli Stern 1 Weltkrieg  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Orden Türkei Gallipoli Stern 1 Weltkrieg
    P
    Many

Let me know if you need better pictures

looks ok to me nice enamel finish.

It is an original example. Nice to see it has not been cleaned in quite some time.

Best Regards,

Alan

Hello Juan,
    when I first started collecting these Gallipoli stars I only ever came across two original types.
    One which had the BB&Co on the pin assembly back plate which was enamelled and silver plated on brass and a base metal example that had been painted.

I would assume that some German companies started making them as replacements but I don't know.

The example you posted looks good but I don't like the shaping of the pin where the scour marks are still visible.

Unless I had rock solid provenance I would only go for the two original types that I mentioned above.

Cheers
    Doug

I guess this would be a prime candidate for some in depth research

when I first started collecting these Gallipoli stars I only ever came across two original types.
    One which had the BB&Co on the pin assembly back plate which was enamelled and silver plated on brass and a base metal example that had been painted.
    The BB & Co examples you refer to are generally accepted as being German manufactured, and are the most common non-Turkish made examples to find for collectors.

The simple examples you refer to with the red painted front are the Actual Award Examples, Made in Turkey during WW1, and are actually difficult to find as compared to the enameled pieces that were made in Germany & Austria.

The example posted in this thread is a known and accepted period made example, most likely made in Germany. It is Not one of the countless variations of current reproductions that have flooded eBay Germany and elsewhere over the past few years.

The pin on this one is perfectly fine. It is a German made pin of the period. I previously owned an example with a pin shaped like this one, with the addition of a cross-style hallmark on the pin. My example had a much more elaborate chasing work on the metal underneath the enamel work. These Gallipoli Stars or "Eisernes Halbmond" can be a minefield to inexperienced collectors. However, most are easily detected by an eye that doesn't take much time to train and spot the fakes. Most of the modern repros also use a cold enamel process on them, which is also easily detectable.

I don't mean to tout another forum in saying that WAF had some excellent threads approximately 3-years ago that discuss these German made "Eisernes Halbmond" in depth and show excellent photos of several different types that are original. There is also an excellent book published by an author in Turkey that is bi-lingual, and has excellent photos of the different known manufactured examples. The book is difficult to find, and I have not seen one available since September. It may be close to being out of print.

Best Regards,

Alan

Thanks for the input Alan,
    there are some interesting threads over on WAF. I've just spent an hour or so reading through them
    Juan, I see you posted the star over there as well
    Cheers
    Doug