Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An original M18 cut-out

Article about: I was reading this old post about the value of an M18 cut-out helmet and it seemed to me there was some confusion about these rare helmets. This made me decide to make a new thread about min

?

Default An original M18 cut-out

I was reading this old post about the value of an M18 cut-out helmet and it seemed to me there was some confusion about these rare helmets. This made me decide to make a new thread about mine...

According Ludwig Baer's book, 2100 test helmets with cut-out were shipped in August 1918 to several locations for trials and experiences had to be reported by December 1918. They had also the intention of further supplies of test helmets in September and October. It's not clear if they did supply the extra helmets in September and October.

These 2100 test helmets had some specific characteristics:

- The chinstrap is attached directly to the liner band and is in two pieces with a carabine hook and a buckle.
    - To improve the hearing, the helmet has a half-moon shaped cut out of approximately 20 by 60 mm on each side of the brim.
    - The surface of the test helmet was covered with a felt finish. This finish was in fact anti-glare and because of that, a cloth cover wasn't needed anymore. Also camouflaging the helmet with mud was easier than on the smooth surface of a painted helmet. The liner rivets are the standard felgrau ones as they were installed after the helmet was sprayed with the felt.
    - All of the 2100 test helmets were produced by Thale and have size 64. The ET64 stamp is located on the wearer's left side on the brim.

Regarding all the previous and a lot of other articles, books etc. about this subject, it seems that only the helmets with the felt finish, produced by Thale and in size 64, can be used before November 11 1918 with certainty...
    Of course (but I've seen no proof of that yet) it's possible that other cut-out helmets were delivered in September and October 1918 and maybe those are the camouflaged ones that are sometimes encountered? In my opinion all the other cut-outs are used after WW1, which of course doesn't mean they aren't rare or desirable...

Ok, here are the pictures...

Adler

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An original M18 cut-out
    P
    Many

A one looker from a mile away. Is the exterior covered in the original so called Flocking or felt type finish? It sure looks like it to me! Those are rarer than hens' teeth! Great piece, thanks for sharing. Jim G.

?

You can see the close up of the felt finish in the 5th picture Jim...

Adler

What an exceptionally rare helmet, and in outstanding, beautiful condition! That is a true "find of a lifetime"! Congratulations Karel!

Best Regards,

Alan

its my understanding these were for the calvary,is that correct.?

?

Thanks for your comments gentlemen!

Harry, these helmets were not especially for cavalry, the purpose of the cut-out was only to improve the hearing of the wearer. Collectors came up with the names "cavalry helmet", "telephone operator's helmet" and others to distinguisch this model from the normal M18...

Adler

?

These are interesting helmets. I was lucky enough to pickup a converted one a few years ago. It has a strange eagle and swastika in front. Doug B said this might be a Volkstrum addition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An original M18 cut-out   An original M18 cut-out  

An original M18 cut-out   An original M18 cut-out  

An original M18 cut-out   An original M18 cut-out  

An original M18 cut-out  
    Last edited by kirby; 12-24-2015 at 03:27 AM.

Kirby, I think I remember your example. This one deserves its own thread as well. I would especially like to see the eagle on the front again. Regarding the thread starter, I think all would agree that it is one of the best untouched examples out there! I just love the felt exterior! Great piece Adler! Thanks for posting it. I've only come back to look at it about a dozen times already! Jim G.

MAP
    ?

That sound you didn't hear was my jaw dropping
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Sorry I shouldn't have posted this one. I thought Adler was talking about the value of these helmets. I know I got three substantial offers after I posted this on WAF. I wonder if a double decal WW II Heer conversion would be more valuable than a perfect WW l like Adler's. There might be a handful of original SS conversions cutouts. One of those would be insane money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast