Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this an original WW1 Stahlhelm?

Article about: yeah not much too it, I saw this up for NZD \\$550 and I'd just like to know if it's an original piece. The seller said the rear rivet had been replaced but beyond that it was original but I h

?

Exclamation Is this an original WW1 Stahlhelm?

yeah not much too it, I saw this up for NZD $550 and I'd just like to know if it's an original piece. The seller said the rear rivet had been replaced but beyond that it was original but I have no idea.

Any clues?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this an original WW1 Stahlhelm?   Is this an original WW1 Stahlhelm?  

Is this an original WW1 Stahlhelm?   Is this an original WW1 Stahlhelm?  

Is this an original WW1 Stahlhelm?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this an original WW1 Stahlhelm?
    P
    Many

Yes, appears to be an Original M16 with the Leather Liner-Band...
    cheers, Glenn

?

So it looks like the liner is original then?

It appears to be an original shell with original paint. The liner band looks odd to me - like it is older than the pads. I'm sure the hex nut in the back was added far more recently to replace the missing piece as indicated. For 370 US I think it is an OK purchase if all is well but I am still a little bit wary of the liner. NH

?

Yeah I see that, if the liner is a postwar addition (say 1919 - 1920 by Freikorps or something) then I am not too worried though it would be a pain - my worry is that it may be a more recent addition.

Anything post war would have a steel liner band with the 3 pad type liner. NH

?

Right you are. So it either has to be original or a partial redo it seems then
    Last edited by FinMC; 04-30-2017 at 06:19 AM.

?

Here is what it looks like to me. An original shell with the 1917 steel liner band, with pads replaced with those from a Danish helmet. Back in the day I "restored" a couple of these this way.

?

Like some people suggested earlier, it does look to me like it may be the leather liner band (by the string thread along through it and the appearance of it). I haven't heard of using Danish leather pads (I always just assumed the danes imported their lids), though that could explain the fresher appearance. Would they have been pads from a similar time period do you think?

Also, assuming the liner pads are redundant (besides the liner band), what sort of value does this lid have?