Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

P08 WWI bring back

Article about: Hi guys, I was hunting in the weekend and I was offered a look at a captured P08 from WWI. The family is giving it to a museum to prevent an older sister inheriting it. They asked me if I wa

?

Default P08 WWI bring back

Hi guys,

I was hunting in the weekend and I was offered a look at a captured P08 from WWI.
    The family is giving it to a museum to prevent an older sister inheriting it.
    They asked me if I wanted to buy it, but I don't have the correct license.
    Their Granddad claimed it from a German soldier and a pair of binoculars in France.
    It has a name in the holster, but it's almost all rubbed off.

Funny what people have tucked away.

It has a nice weight to it, and is comfortable to hold.

Cheers,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P08 WWI bring back   P08 WWI bring back  

P08 WWI bring back   P08 WWI bring back  

It is what they say, a veteran souvenir from WW1. Gun laws in NZ mean pistols like this have always been controlled as far as ownership and importation unlikely. Could be bought by a pistol club member with correct licence, but would be nice to see it in a museum display.

?

Nice to see correct handling of a firearm ( Checked for ammo, field stripped etc ), with that being said, I guess / hope you gave it a proper oiling and a wipe down before re-assembly, I would see what is needed for you to legally own this piece of history, perhaps put the money down as a hold, until you get the legalities in order. Wish ya luck and thanks for sharing ! G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

That's cool. I have a 1916 DWM.
    Its also a shame it will be going to a museum.
    I could use a mag!!!
    Just saying

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Whatever you do, if you ask the police about it.. don’t mention you have it, or that it even exists!
    They will be legally obliged to seize it and, probably, destroy it.
    Keep it theoretical - ‘I was thinking of buying.. I’ve always wanted.. what would I need?.. &c.’

The museum route may end up being the best thing for this historic piece.

You’re exactly right... the police would destroy it if unable to own or owner doesn’t claim within a certain amount of time.

I can tell you that I’ve collected several... and I mean several... WW1, WW2, and antique firearms from family members of veterans that’ve passed away. Guns and rifles are one of those items that aren’t auctioned off if unclaimed. Funny, but not so funny, I remember one veteran that even had a live grenade from WW2. Wife found it after he passed. The things those guys took home!

I’ve collected soooo many beautiful weapons from families and placed into property/evidence. I’ve begged several times to family members to please don’t have me do this. Please find someone in the family to pass down to or sell. 90% of the time they didn’t want to be bothered with selling and there wasn’t anyone in the family interested in owning it. Very sad... I guess the saying is true, “Somebody’s junk is another's treasure!”

Oh by the way, some might ask, “Well, what do they do with unclaimed firearms?”... I asked the same question when I was working... they dismantle all unclaimed firearms, stack in a metal pile, and once or twice a year they’re destroyed.

History destroyed! Unacceptable in my book! And it still happens to this day.