Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Patriotic Ring "Vaterlandsdank 1914"

Article about: I'm hoping someone will know something about this Ring, I've researched it and have read different opinions about it. Some say it's for wartime donations, I remember reading that during WWI

CBH
    ?

Default Patriotic Ring "Vaterlandsdank 1914"

I'm hoping someone will know something about this Ring, I've researched it and have read different opinions about it. Some say it's for wartime donations, I remember reading that during WWI if you donated your wedding ring you'd get a non-precious metal replacement. Could this be that type of ring?
    It's a very large size 12 3/4 on my ring mandril, no markings (to even an RZM "Joke").
    It was found in the trash of a Canadian forces veteran who was once stationed in West Germany, he was a collector of many non-military things. His window threw it away and I was lucky enough to find it, I was helping in her House Clearance as she move into an old peoples home. Best garbage find of the year.
    Thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Patriotic Ring "Vaterlandsdank 1914"   Patriotic Ring "Vaterlandsdank 1914"  

Cut and paste from a discussion on another forum ---

Hello,

I received a "Spendenaufruf" (leaflet) today for "Vaterlandsdank". It seems "Vaterlandsdank" was founded to support war orphans and widows after the war. They collected gold and silver and other precious metals and gave (for 1/2 Mark) rings to the people who donated.
    The ring is not silver but "a special kind of iron, given by the Krupp firm".
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

CBH
    ?

Thanks Greg, I was under the impression it was a wartime, but that is very interesting.
    I thought you might know a thing or two about these, I appreciate the help.

I'm happy to help, but you give me too much credit.
    I saw your post and then did a quick search over at that other forum to see
    if maybe someone else had ever posted one before.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

CBH
    ?

It was a great help, period information is worth so much more then collector lore.

MAP
    ?

Nice piece of history there! I like it! Probably wouldn't even fit on my thumb!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

CBH
    ?

Thanks Micheal, I have been wearing it as a matter of fact, only slipped off once.
    Too loose on my left hand ring finger but ok on the right, and it fits my middle finger also so it ends up there sometimes.
    Good old Krupp Steel.

CBH: Does your ring have "Gold gab ich für Eisen!" inscribed on the inside of the band? Dwight

CBH
    ?

No, nothing on the inside. Was there a version with an inspiration?

CBH: I don't think so. My interest is actually in the Gold gab ich für Eisen money-raising campaign that the government first launched during the Napoleonic War of Liberation (1813-14) and again in WWI. I found this statement online while looking for information on the Gold gab ich für Eisen fund raiser:
    "Marianne of Prussia appealed to all woman in the Seventh Coalition War (Napoleonic Wars) to give all jewelry to the government! in exchange for this ring with an inside gravure : Gold gab ich für Eisen!
    The ring referred to is exactly like yours, which is the reason for my question.
    I'm trying to find out if your Vaterlands Dank ring is related to, or the same as, the Gold gab ich für Eisen campaign. This is what the Landes-museum Württemberg has to say on the subject.
    Under this slogan, "Gab ich für Eisen" that was launched during the Napoleonic War of Liberation, (1813-14), the German population was called upon to exchange any pieces of gold or silver for iron ornaments.
    The Seventh Coalition War is another name for the Napoleonic War of Liberation, (1813-14) which was the first thing that started me to thinking that there might be a connection between your ring and the Gold gab ich für Eisen fund-raising campaign. Here is an example of the ring that is associated directly with the 1813 money-raising campaign.

If I find anything that positively links the two rings to the same fund-raiser, I will let you know, but at this point, I am certain that Chopperman has the right answer and there is no connection. The guy who is selling the ring that got me going off in another direction is in my opinion selling a fake. In the first place, your ring doesn't have the inscription and in the second place, Friederich Wilhelm III established the Gold gab ich für Eisen fund-raiser not Marianne of Prussia. Lastly, the appeal was made to all Germans not just German women. Thanks for your quick reply to my question. Dwight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast