Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

with this Pickelhaube

Article about: I found this Pickelhaube in an antique store today. It looks unlike any I have seen before. After handling it I am pretty sure it is original, but I'm wondering if it is something special or

Default with this Pickelhaube

I found this Pickelhaube in an antique store today. It looks unlike any I have seen before. After handling it I am pretty sure it is original, but I'm wondering if it is something special or not. The price tag is 450 usd. It is labelled as a pre-1898 German spike helmet. But it doesn't look German to me, possibly Prussian?

Thanks for any assistance on this one!

Regards,
    Corey

with this Pickelhaube

with this Pickelhaube

with this Pickelhaube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement with this Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

Default Re: with this Pickelhaube

For that kind of money, I would just walk away.

I am by far an expert but this thing looks like a cobbled
    up mess. I think the shell, front visor trim and spike are
    probably good.(I mean original) The shell is in bad condition
    with big areas of the original finish missing. I believe the
    outer star of the front plate is completely wrong and I
    have my doubts about the larger, inner star.

If the spike is original to the shell, then I am guessing that
    it is missing the rear spine and rear visor trim. I would be
    real curious to see what condition the liner is in and to see
    if the shell has any markings at all.

Now --I am curious to see what one of the experts has
    to say.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks Greg for your reply! So far I have listed this Pickelhaube on four different forums and you are the only one to respond. I guess all the other pickelhaube collectors are at the SOS.

I had this thing in my hands yesterday and I think you are right about the shell, visor, and spike being original. I made a big mistake in not examining the interior very closely or taking photos of it. The interior was somewhat dried out, and I knew it was original so I didn't venture any further. The insignia on the front was what threw me for a loop. I have never seen anything like it. It will be interesting to see what the other pickelhaube guys think about it.

regards,
    Corey

Pictures of the inside and the back would have been great!
    Helmet plate is one I have never seen before.
    Makes me feel like a transformed fire fighter's helmet.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I have been thinking what the last helmet plate could be, as it looked quiet famylar to me, and finaly came up with the idea it might be a rare Belgian spikehelmet plate! But that needs to be checked by removing the front star!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture with this Pickelhaube  
    Attached Images Attached Images with this Pickelhaube 

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Thanks Greg for your reply! So far I have listed this Pickelhaube on four different forums and you are the only one to respond.....

regards,
    Corey
    I responded on two fora, and didn't get any reply so far of the threat opener....
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

Hello Kris, I didn't get a notification until now. I'm at a loss of what this might be. The bottom front plate looks very similar to the shape of the front plate in your photos. What I can say if I remember correctly, the two front plates appeared attached as if they were made together. Also, both plates showed the same wear. There is no doubt they have been together for a long time. But I did notice, and you can see it in the picture, the gold plate is a little off centered from the silver plate. I would love to go back and get better photos. I'm heading that way Sunday to go back to college, but unfortunately the store will probably be closed. If this pickelhaube was something special then I would gladly drive the two hours to go pick it up! But so far all the replies I have gotten on threads have discouraged me from picking this one up, since it is probably just a messed with item.

I can't help but wonder at the possibility, since it has remained unidentified after being posted on multiple forums, that this pickelhaube might be something really rare and unique.

I would question whether that front plate even belongs on this helmet body or Not. It certainly doesn't look like it fits or has been in place for a hundred years or so.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    I can't help but wonder at the possibility, since it has remained unidentified after being posted on multiple forums, that this pickelhaube might be something really rare and unique.
    You where right in you previous reply; "not worth the two hours drive!!"
    It was not identified because it isn't possible to do so! The "thing" never existed!
    The last front plate is the only thing that would be worth the trip if the price was less (and hoping it is the (not to much messed with!!)Belgian helmet plate !!)
    cheers
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast