Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Pickelhaube M1895 Prussian Infantry Waterloo

Article about: Hi Forum An old ladyin my family has cleaned out her basement, and generally I only collect German WWII stuff, but she has given me this Pickelhaube, do anyone have more info, is it a Pickel

Well, if he changes is mind, you know where to find me.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pickelhaube M1895 Prussian Infantry Waterloo
    P
    Many

Yes lets see what he wants, I have enclosed some more pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pickelhaube M1895 Prussian Infantry Waterloo   Pickelhaube M1895 Prussian Infantry Waterloo  

Pickelhaube M1895 Prussian Infantry Waterloo  

The stamp in the neck flap will tell it all.
    If you could make a good pic of that part.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I will see if the owner can post mores pics, I will write to him

With better photos, I think your friend's helmet might be a model 1842 that has had the visor cut and re-sewn to later regulation size. Rare as hen's teeth but almost impossible to find the parts he needs for a proper restoration.

I have written to him to send more pics, if or when I get them I will post them

?

Your helmet was made post 1895 and before 1915. The second helmet appears to be an 1860 pattern. It had to tell the colors of the cockade to identify the state. The stamp information would be quite useful, as it should say the regiment. As to the care of your piece, I would try and get it back into shape. This can be done by re-hydrating the leather as it is being shaped. One method of doing this is to place the helmet on a head form or hat block that is the correct size cover the whole thing with a plastic bag and place either a wet rag or wet newspaper in with the helmet. What you want is to maintain a high humidity environment (do not actually let the wet material contact the leather and do not allow the leather to become actually wet). If you use a styrofoam head as the block, do not permit the foam to contact the helmet, cover the head in plastic bag. This may take months (or longer) but it will bring it back to shape.
    Good luck

Thank you for telling me how to maintain it and how get it into shape, I will do my very best :-)
    regards
    John

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3