Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pilots Ring

Article about: Hey all, I have the opportunity to buy this ww1, German pilot's ring, does it seem legit? It's not too expensive because of the broken "9", but I wanted to be careful. This would h

?

Default Pilots Ring

Hey all,
    I have the opportunity to buy this ww1, German pilot's ring, does it seem legit?
    It's not too expensive because of the broken "9", but I wanted to be careful. This would have been a private purchase correct? Does anyone know how many pilots flew for Germany in WW1? Just watched "The Blue Max", so I love the idea of this ring!Pilots RingPilots RingPilots RingPilots Ring

Default Re: Pilots Ring

The ring is not German,the enblem is US and the ring is a fiction just junk.
    sorry about that.

doomtown, I agree with Chris on this ring....fake, however it seems IMO to insinuate a connection to the French "Layfayette Escadrille" squadron that accepted volunteer U.S. flyers upto 1917 when upon entry of the U.S.A. into the Great War they transfered out, into the U.S. Army air corps. By the way if you enjoyed the "Blue Max" you will love the film "Flyboys" originally made in 1958, but I prefer the remake of 2006, which is about this volunteer sqaudron. For a history of this unit see here.. Lafayette Escadrille - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Prost ! Steve.

Yes you are correct about the layfayette connection but the guys would have use the emblem of their unit.
    They have a large monument in Paris beautiful.
    Flyboys is a very good movie but the blue max great.

?

oh wow, what a bummer! I wanted it to be real though! haha Thanks for your help fellas, I really appreciate it!

?

they sure can make some funny junk NG

Quote by colt45 View Post
    they sure can make some funny junk NG
    You are right.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    The ring is not German,the enblem is US and the ring is a fiction just junk.
    sorry about that.
    This auction is long gone so the original purpose of this string is long gone as well, but as a learning experience I wonder why you were so dismissive of this ring? The wing and prop emblem was routinely used in the German Air Service. This is somewhat stylized, perhaps in order to fill the space on the ring, but it is not so very far off the standard form and is much closer to the German version than it is to the American version. Even the French had a wing and prop logo for their Air Service. The dates would suggest to me a ring made in 1917, just as the French Croix de Guerre carries the date the war began and the date of issue; hence CdG's bearing 1914-1915, 1914-1916, etc., through 1918. The British did this for some of their decorations as well. The oak leaves and laurels are clearly suggestive of a German piece, as is the 800 marking. It may truly be junk, but I was wondering why you thought so?

And for the movie watchers among you, Flyboys was fun, but it was technically (which is to say historically) horrible! I would say they at least got the uniforms right, but I'm not sure that is correct. Depending on when they set the movie time wise, it may be their use of the French pilot's badge was premature. That badge was not even designed and authorized until Sept. 1916, and was not in supply until some time after that. The Blue Max has its own problems, but it comes much closer in terms of accuracy. And few can fill out a towel like Ursula.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pilots Ring  

Quote by wingandprop View Post
    few can fill out a towel like Ursula.
    You said a mouth full (Drool) there!!

Anton