Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Please yout opinion on a M16 lid

Article about: Sorry but I can't show any pictures at this moment, as I did not buy the lid yet, but this is the dilemma; Yesterday I met a guy who collects fire brigade helmets, and you were talking about

Default Please yout opinion on a M16 lid

Sorry but I can't show any pictures at this moment, as I did not buy the lid yet, but this is the dilemma;
    Yesterday I met a guy who collects fire brigade helmets, and you were talking about the lids when he asked me to have a look at fis private collection. He has about 2800 diffrents fire brigade helmets from all over the world, some dating back to the 18th century.
    Between some lids a saw a M16 camo lid in a box, and pulled it out. He told me that it wasn't a fire brigade helmet, but something German.
    Well, I figured that one out the moment I saw it! It was priced 200 euros, but I could have it for 125 euros because it didn't really fit in his collection.
    But now the strange part; it has a weird liner, it sure insn't the original one as it has sweat holes in the front.
    It has a great camo to it, that looks old, and chipped away throgh the years.
    On the let side there is a emblem painted in gold paint of a machine gun corps.
    Could it be something Bulgarian, and not German at all? Did some machine gun corpses paint these emblems on the side?
    I looked under a loupe, and the camo paint looks the real thing, but it all sounds to good to be true, maybe I just want it to be real so hard I'm over looking things.
    In the worst case I'm left with a M16 shell, still worth 50 euros(?) on a bad day?
    The camo is of the blocked type with three colours and the black lines.
    Who knows what to do?

Default Re: Please yout opinion on a M16 lid

i would buy it and hope for the best,,,

I agree , even an original camo shells got to be worth that , providing it is original , sounds like its good without seeing it , i think id grab it if it was me , cheers Raymond

?

Well it does sound good, but i would err on the side of caution, firstly when you were talking , did you in any way infer that you collected militaria, and if you did, was it then that you were invited to view this persons collection, secondly, this person seems to be an avid collector of helmets albeit period fire helmets, i would then surmise that he has, amongst his collection third reich police/fire helmets and that he knows full well that he has a ww1 camo helmet and to say that its something german doesnt ring right, especially as the cost is $200 and he is now willing to drop $75, thirdly the liner and painted decal, as its a non original liner ie three pad is it a m31 , if so a replacement, probably yes, as to the painted decal i understand that these trench art helmets, if original are fairly rare, especially the machine gun emblem, but i would again think twice as the whole idea of a camo helmet is disguise but to paint something in gold defeats the object, however having said all this you are the person who has viewed this helmet, it then relies upon your gut feeling, how confident do you feel, it may well be a genuine shell and camo paint but the decal may have been added much later, its your money and at the end of the day you are either very lucky or its a case of 50/.50, i wish you good luck and hope all goes well

Could you go back and take some photos ? This really would help us to ID it
    before you dump some cash.............!
    Regards,

Steve.

maybe a Austrian Hungarian WW1 helmet.

hard to tell exactly with out pictures

?

Buy it, buy it, buy it!!!!!!!!! It would still be a nice lid to have

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Could you go back and take some photos ? This really would help us to ID it
    before you dump some cash.............!
    Feuerbach, sound advice, the cammo finish on these helmets are heavily faked...especially MG/Guard Corps emblems.......even the M16 helmet is now faked, so this needs scrutiny.....
    Prost ! Steve.

?

I am over excited and not thinkng with a clear head me thinks.....I will shut up now!

Thanks guys for your input.
    I am going to buy the lid next month, even in the worst senario being that the decal and the camo is fake, I have a very nice M16 lid. I'm going to try and get it for 100 euros, see what he says.
    I will post the pictures when I have bought it next month. Thanks again for all the feedback!