Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves

Article about: Hello all, The eagle's are very distinct on this one and I wanted to know if it had any chance, even if interwar produced. Is it possible this is an authentic Rothe produced cross? Supposedl

Default Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves

Hello all,

The eagle's are very distinct on this one and I wanted to know if it had any chance, even if interwar produced. Is it possible this is an authentic Rothe produced cross? Supposedly named, but was the pilot allowed to wear the Oakleaf cluster?

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves   Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves  

Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves   Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves
    P
    Many

hi William,Oradour the guy for these hope he's on.

Hi William,
    Look very nice and detailed, but yes, Oradour is the guy to listen to :-)

Mfg
    Marc

Hi William, a nice display, the Pour le merite you show is a nicely executed piece.....It emulates a Rothe & Neffe PLM in design and font features, i.e. the laddering effect inside the lettering, it could be copy made by that firm after 1945 (In 2005 the business closed after more than 150 years) but lacks the pillow effect of the blue enamelling so beloved of this award, I tend to regard most Rothe style PLM's as fakes....see attached image of such a PLM by Rothe.......The display in my opinion is made up, there is a Gotthard Sachsenberg on the PLM recipients list, a Naval flying ace with 31 victories, awarded the PLM on 5th August 1918 see here for more details Gotthard Sachsenberg.....However - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia he was never awarded the Oakleaf device, which were was usually reserved for high-ranking officers, not junior officers.
    The oak leaves were originally established for the Red Eagle Order as an additional level to that Order. The same was true of the PLM on the 10 March 1813. This special higher level was to be awarded for extraordinary achievements, the criteria was closely controlled and the award was usually given to high ranking field commanders for significant military victories or major contributions to the war effort. The device was designed in accordance with the wishes of King Friedrich Wilhelm III in honor of his former wife, Queen Louise of Meckenlenberg-Strelitz.
    On December 17, 1817 a distinctive ribbon was designed to be presented with the Oak leaves. The ribbon had an additional silver stripe down the centre, but this ribbon was only used if the the leaves were given as an additional presentation to a recipient.
    I hope that helps........
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves   Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves  

Last edited by oradour; 11-05-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Hi Steve, Very accurate info, as always :-) Do you think this one will fall into the same category ( Rothe fake)?? Mfg Marc Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves Pour le Mérite - Blue Max w/ oakleaves Ps it does have some pillow to the enamel :-) eagles and jewels in crown are different !
    Last edited by unimarc; 11-05-2014 at 02:03 PM.

One day I will try and obtain pics of TWO Pour le Merite's. These reside in a bank vault. But were won by two members of my friend's family!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade,
    Looking very much forward to that :-) it seems no matter the background story there is always that little doubt :-/ you almost have to have been witnessing the award ceremony your self to believe the authenticity ;-)

Mfg
    Marc