Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Pre ww1 bayonet

Article about: Hi lads I picked this up yesterday it's ww1 german I think ! Any info would be great thanks , I paid boy €35 for it,! It's made by Simpson & co Andy

?

Default Pre ww1 bayonet

Hi lads I picked this up yesterday it's ww1 german I think ! Any info would be great thanks , I paid boy €35 for it,! It's made by Simpson & co
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre ww1 bayonet   Pre ww1 bayonet  

Pre ww1 bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pre ww1 bayonet
    P
    Many

Greetings Andy,

“Spanish Mauser Model 1893 Short bayonet, produced on contract by Simson & Co. Shul Germany.” See this link (https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...idproduct=1374).

Regards,

Lance

?

i think Lance is spot on

Ger

?

Cheers lads,
    foook I thought it might of seen some action. Did the germans even use this type at any stage ?

Greetings Andy,

I checked, Méry, C. (2013). Les baïonnettes ersatz allemandes. Brazey-en-Plaine: Christian Méry. Les baïonnettes ersatz allemandes. - Site officiel de l'Union Française des amateurs d'Armes English Version here. Nouvelle page 0 book and while it shows German military’s use of many foreign nation’s bayonets (at least for WWI), none from Spain are listed/shown. Not conclusive, but something I thought I’d share. Very common to see German Made bayonets for export, they don't have a large international collector following which keeps their prices quite affordable.

Here’s everything you wanted to know about the rifle (with its history)…”Remember the Maine!” etc (Collecting and Shooting the Surplus Rifle - The Spanish Inquisition).

Regards,

Lance

?

Thanks again lads
    Pity it's not ww1 german. Lesson learnt though still a nice piece ! Is it worth €35?

The price is good for this export-bayonet, in my opinion...
    cheers, Glenn

?

It is a very easy mistake to make. The Spanish M93 bayonet was modeled after the German Sg71/84, the first knife bayonet. The Sg71/84 was designed for use on the Gew71/84 repeater rifle. The Spanish bayonet, while in the form of the grip, blade and scabbard is very similar to the German, will not fit the German rifle due to the differences in the cross guard and muzzle ring.

?

Here are my two respective "spanyards" to compare - above is german SIMSON & Co made m1892/93 and below is spanish TOLEDO made m1893.
    SIMSON & Co has been grips removed somewhen - guess it was done by spanyards as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre ww1 bayonet   Pre ww1 bayonet  

?

...but actually this here has to be under BAYONETS topic...