Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pre WW1 military stein

Article about: I have been offered this stein, but would seek some advice please. It was purchased post WW2 but a member of the occupation forces. There is no lithopane in the base, which worries me, altho

?

Default Pre WW1 military stein

I have been offered this stein, but would seek some advice please. It was purchased post WW2 but a member of the occupation forces. There is no lithopane in the base, which worries me, although it all looks suitably 'old'. Artwork is said to be painted and the lid bears a cannon, with a rampant Bavarian lion on the handle. Dedicated to Emil Popper 1901-1903, which is I assume his period of service. Asking price $100. Is this a good one, and is the price fair please?Pre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military stein

?

Default Re: Pre WW1 military stein

This type of stein would not have a lithopane, as it is not porcelain. This is a crockery stein and they did not have them (for obvious reasons!). This is a very nice period stein and, if it is not overpriced, a great addition to any imperial German collection.

Regards,
    CCMJR

?

$100 would seem cheap to me from what I have seen on stein sites.

I know nothing about these but for $100 I'd pick it up in a heartbeat!

?

Thanks guys, hopefully on it's way now.

Grab it.

?

Yes, I would say that if it was $100, that price would be somewhere between a half and a third of retail.

CCMJR

?

Hi as an expert on regimental steins, I'd say this one is a reproduction. I saw this one up on eBay earlier this week. The others are correct that stoneware/pottery regimental steins wouldn't have lithophanes. However, I haven't seen any authentic regimental steins with service dates listed where they are on this stein. It also doesn't list the reservist's particular company or where his regiment was stationed, which it generally should. The style of the stein just seems "off". Buy at your own risk. I deal with these steins on a daily basis and I question it's authenticity..but ultimately it's up to you.

100$ is not that expensive for what you get! I couldn't make you such a stein for that price. But I also feel it not being good!
    I see faults one would not expect on a item that costed the original soldier one month wage.
    The clear field under the date and the name looks "off"and the upper text line on the picture not going parallel with the construction of the stein makes me feel stickers were applied and it is not handpainted.
    Sorry.
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi i would also say its a copy most i have seen have West Germany on the inside of the lid ,you can find them on the fairs in europe for about 40 euros

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast