MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pre WW1 military stein

Article about: I have been offered this stein, but would seek some advice please. It was purchased post WW2 but a member of the occupation forces. There is no lithopane in the base, which worries me, altho

Default Re: Pre WW1 military stein

Bummer it's not genuine but all in all, it's still a pretty cool piece.

?

Default Re: Pre WW1 military stein

Thanks again guys. I will cancel the purchase.

?

This is quite early for a crockery regimental stein. By the late 1800s the regimental steins were changing from hand painted designs to transfer artwork with hand-painted accents . I agree that there are some odd things about the information and its placement, but this was a transitional period and I would not expect steins from this time frame to match the transfer work and uniformity of just a few years later.

I'm glad you made a decision you are comfortable with.

CCMJR

?

Well I ended up with the stein, as I was too late to stop a friend picking it up for me. I will have to enjoy it as it is. He says there is quite a bit of raised paint rather than transfers, but I will wait until I get it to see for myself.

Some new photos would be appreciated as this thread is becoming quite the educational tool.

?

Hoping to have it early next week, and I will get some real close up pics posted.

?

Well it finally arrived. No makers name/country on the lid or stein apart from the bottom. On the outside the white accents (belts, caps, clouds have been painted in, the rest looks more like transfers. The glaze around the top/bottom has a slight metallic tint to it - rather like victorian glass I used to excavate. Anyway, here are some more pics. Some of the work, like the canon wheel to lid looks pretty poor, but whether a copy or not I do not know, but like the look of it anyway. I only have a small Imperial collection, but it will look good with the other items.
    Pre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military steinPre WW1 military stein

For a reproduction it sure looks pretty cool! For $100 I would like it that's for sure! It would have fooled me in the same situation as the ageing looks acceptable to me. I wonder how old this piece actually is?

?

I know there are a lot of Chinese children in factories painting intricate things, so it wouldn't surprise me, but this seems a lot of work to me - every bit of white is paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2