Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Preußen Königliche Kronenorden 2. Kl. vs Preußen Königliche Kronenorden 3. Kl.

Article about: I am not a collector of medals, but I have been working on obtaining examples of the five medals that were awarded to the crew of the U-Deutschland and some of the civilians who were involve

Default Preußen Königliche Kronenorden 2. Kl. vs Preußen Königliche Kronenorden 3. Kl.

I am not a collector of medals, but I have been working on obtaining examples of the five medals that were awarded to the crew of the U-Deutschland and some of the civilians who were involved in the cargo U-boat project, 1915-17. I have all but the Preußen Königliche Kronenorden 2. Kl. that went to Alfred Lohmann. It is a fairly pricy item and is easily confused with the same medal in 3. Kl. My problem is how to tell them apart without actually having the example in my hand. Is there any significant feature that I should look for when I am viewing an offering online? To be frank, I cannot tell them apart. Here are examples of both 2. Kl. and 3. Kl. Preußen Königliche Kronenorden that I found on the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ordenkunde, e. V. web site. Before I buy anything, I will post the photo(s) here for your opinions; but in the meantime any suggestions, opinions, or solid information that might help me identify the right version will be appreciated. I do not know if the position of the suspension ring is critical or not, but I think not because I also saw a 2, Kl. version with a ring identical to the one shown in the second photo (3. Kl.) Thanks. Both versions shown are examples of the type awarded in 1916. The style changed slightly in 1917, but 1916 model is the one I want Dwight

This first photo is the 2. Kl. version

This is the 3. kl. version

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Preußen Königliche Kronenorden 2. Kl. vs Preußen Königliche Kronenorden 3. Kl.
    P
    Many

I don't collect these but just from the picture shown,
    the rings make a big difference. Your picture of the
    2nd class cross shows a ring that is set up for wear
    as a neck ribbon while the 3rd class picture has a ring
    that would be used for a lapel style ribbon or used in
    a medal bar.

I just did a quick google search and found this which
    confirms my idea.-------------

Order of the Crown (Prussia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Chopperman: Thanks for that suggestion, which makes sense. I have seen the 2. Kl. with the star and without. But I have never seen it with a neck ribbon or band. Both suspension methods would require the suspension ring type shown in the first photo, so I think you have answered the question. I do not know what the little ring that is part of the medal at the top is called, but from your answer I infer that if it runs left and right, it's a 3. Kl. and if it is turned 90 degrees it is a 2. Kl. If that is the case, and I think it is, then you have provided me with exactly what I needed Thank you. Dwight

I'm glad I could help.
    gregM

myself around.

Here is a picture of a KO2X with the neck ribbon.
    From what I have read, finding original ribbons is
    all but impossible.

This one has the swords, signifying it was a combat
    award and it has the blue ribbon which means that
    the receipient was not Prussian, otherwise I believe
    it would have been a Black/ White ribbon.

(I hope Trevor does not mind me using his photo)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Preußen Königliche Kronenorden 2. Kl. vs Preußen Königliche Kronenorden 3. Kl.  
    gregM

myself around.