Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Private purchase KS98 sawback bayonet

Article about: Hi, I ran across this kS98 bayonet. I don't usually collect extra-Seitengewehre or dress pieces, and have always concentrated my attention on service pieces; but I couldn't resist this one.

Default Private purchase KS98 sawback bayonet

Hi,

I ran across this kS98 bayonet. I don't usually collect extra-Seitengewehre or dress pieces, and have always concentrated my attention on service pieces; but I couldn't resist this one. It's my first dress bayonet ever, so forgive me when it becomes clear that my knowledge of these pieces is limited.

What it looks like to me is this:

BAYONET:
    It's a long model kS98, sawback (34 teeth if I'm correct). It has wooden grips, fixed with three rivets. The bayonet looks like an imperial piece. I base this on two things:
    1) because of the two headed Weyersberg & Kirschbaum logo which was used between 1883 and 19.. (1918?). Nazi period items are stamped with the later WKC logo, a single knights head instead of a double kings/knights logo.
    2) because of the three rivets, not two.

However, I don't know if wooden grips were common then. I know early service kS98 bayonets had leather grips, but I don't have any idea what the options were for dress-bayonets.

The complete handle is painted black. There's some discussion about this, but black models do exist. I believe it to have been an option in the WKC catalogue for private purchases bayonets & knifes.

SCABBARD:
    Doesn't look original to the bayonet. In fact, it's a Nazi-era M1884/98 bayonet scabbard painted in a thick layer of black paint. While exposing it to bright natural light I can (barely) make out '4? asw' on one side of the mouth and some digits on the other. I can identify 'asw' as E.& F. Hörster who produced these between 1934 and 1944. Also, the screw is mounted on the side so that's a solid giveaway.

So... Is this a legit WW1 private bayonet with a mismatched WW2 scabbard? Or is it something else?

Private purchase KS98 sawback bayonetPrivate purchase KS98 sawback bayonetPrivate purchase KS98 sawback bayonetPrivate purchase KS98 sawback bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Private purchase KS98 sawback bayonet
    P
    Many

This is the exact same bayonet, with chrome plated finish:

Dress Bayonet by WKC, Military Collectibles, Inc.

It's surely highly overpriced, but has the correct scabbard. Judging by the distance of the fuller & the sawteeth, it's exactly the same.

I would take that black paint off it,look nicer.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I would take that black paint off it,look nicer.
    Well... I won't touch the paint on the bayonet, which I believe to be legit. Many fighting knives and short bayonets were offered in black paint in various catalogues at the time, so I believe this to be an option for this bayonet aswell.

The scabbard isn't original to the bayonet, and someone made it look like it is. I think I'll leave the paint anyway and look for a period scabbard.

I did compare it to my other 84/98 scabbards and the painted one has a slightly smaller (shorter) hook, without any visible horizontal lines in the iron. Probably inivisble because of the thick layer of paint.

?

Very nice.