Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prussian Awards

Article about: Hey all, Doing some research on an ancestor of mine who was in the Prussian army late 1800's. I pulled the following from the Prussian lists but I cannot read the German writing. Can someone

Default Prussian Awards

Hey all,

Doing some research on an ancestor of mine who was in the Prussian army late 1800's. I pulled the following from the Prussian lists but I cannot read the German writing. Can someone decipher the following orders & awards?

HEK3
    BZL2a
    GHL3a
    MWK3
    MGrO2b
    GSF2mSt
    HSEH2b
    PT4

Many thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Prussian Awards
    P
    Many

How about a look at the original...several of us here are fluent in German and familiar with the old style script...
    And Welcome to the Forum!
    cheers, Glenn

Can do Glenn as soon as I figure out how to post a picture. I think I need to make a few more posts before I am allowed.

More detail.
    Attachment 906060

The abbreviations mean:

• HEK3 = Fürstlich Hohenzollernsches Ehrenkreuz 3. Classe [Kingdom of Prussia/House of Hohenzollern]
    • BZL2a = Orden vom Zähringer Löwen, Comthurkreuz 1. Klasse [Grand Duchy of Baden]
    • GHL3a = Ludewigs-Orden, Ritterkreuz 1. Classe [Grand Duchy of Hesse]
    • MWK3 = Orden der Wendischen Krone, Ritterkreuz [Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg]
    • MGrO2b = ? [Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg]
    • GSF2mSt = Falken-Orden, Comthur-Kreuz [Grand Duchy of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach]
    • HSEH2b = Sachsen-Ernestinischer Haus-Orden, Comthur-Kreuz 2. Klasse [Saxon Duchies]
    • PT4 = Thurm- und Schwert-Orden, Ritterkreuz [Kingdom of Portugal]

The symbols all identify Prussian decorations; they are:

• Rother-Adler-Orden 2. Classe mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern am Ringe
    • Rother-Adler-Orden 4. Classe
    • Kronen-Orden 2. Classe
    • Eisernes Kreuz 2. Classe
    • Großkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes*

*) If that is really it. I think the symbol by the rank list entry (first scan) looks a bit different from the one in the list of abbreviations (second scan).
    Last edited by HPL2008; 11-22-2015 at 08:20 PM.

It appears to be a listing of high awards from various German States, along with a Portuguese Award among them...I'm somewhat confused here...If this is indeed his award-list, then he was quite the Uber-Hero!
    Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    It appears to be a listing of high awards from various German States, along with a Portuguese Award among them...I'm somewhat confused here...If this is indeed his award-list, then he was quite the Uber-Hero!
    The first document is indeed a rank list entry for one man:

"Comdt.: Gen. Lt. Gr. [= Commandant: Generalleutnant Graf] zu Rantzau".

A little Google-ing tells me that there was a Heinrich Adalbert Graf von Rantzau (27 Oct. 1834 - 11 June 1891) who was a Prussian Generalleutnant and the garrison commander of Koblenz and the Fortress of Ehrenbreitstein. This would appear to be him.

The second scan is apparently composed of excerpts from a list of abbreviations in the rank list, using only those that are relevant to the man in question.

Thank you very much for your help, Andreas...Much appreciated, Friend!
    cheers, Glenn

HLP you are correct, I pulled the data directly from the Prussian army list from 1891. Thanks so much for the translation, I could not read the old letters.

Based on your response, I need to recheck the decorations against what is written in the lists. I have several medal sets from my framily but his are missing. Hoping with enough time (and money) I may be able to replace everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast