Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prussian Pilots Badge - Is this a Fake?

Article about: Hi all, I am always on the lookout for medal of from both World Wars - I came across this one but not sure if it is an original as I have seen some with totally different backings to them. W

Pulk Zerstorer
    ?

Default Prussian Pilots Badge - Is this a Fake?

Hi all,

I am always on the lookout for medal of from both World Wars - I came across this one but not sure if it is an original as I have seen some with totally different backings to them.

What is the makers mark ?

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prussian Pilots Badge - Is this a Fake?  

Default Re: Prussian Pilots Badge - Is this a Fake?

The mark is for the firm of Paul Meybauer. The distinctive bow was only used by the firm. However, I am not sure of this one as the pin is not typical of this maker and it appears that there are casting marks along the upper left of the reverse. They used a "coke bottle" shaped pin with a sharp taper at the point. Can you please get closeups of the reverse (area noted and the hinge, and catch in particular).
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Hi,sorry to disagree with your comments Steven ,but the maker mark is actually AWS of Berlin. The mark looks simular-ish to Maybauer . There is a debate going on about this type of badge on the Werhmacht forum at present. In my opinion I do not feel it is an original piece. I was not aware that AWS even made pilot badges . The style and detail is quite like a Maybauer piece but has definate differences. These are seen in hollow,two piece and cut out form and are generally accepted as modern copies. Sorry. Ferg1.

Quote by Ferg1 View Post
    Hi,sorry to disagree with your comments Steven ,but the maker mark is actually AWS of Berlin. The mark looks simular-ish to Maybauer . There is a debate going on about this type of badge on the Werhmacht forum at present. In my opinion I do not feel it is an original piece. I was not aware that AWS even made pilot badges . The style and detail is quite like a Maybauer piece but has definate differences. These are seen in hollow,two piece and cut out form and are generally accepted as modern copies. Sorry. Ferg1.
    Fergus,

I was too quick on the trigger. My mistake indeed, you are ABSOLUTELY right. I guess I didn't even think as the mark being for AWS (or look closely enough) as I had not heard of them making Pilot badges either. Thanks for the correction.
    Last edited by Steven M; 03-28-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

For reference, here is the Meybauer mark...followed by the mark for AWS.
    Attached Images Attached Images Prussian Pilots Badge - Is this a Fake?  Prussian Pilots Badge - Is this a Fake? 

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]