Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Real or Not

Article about: Hi I am new to WW1 German medals bought these from ebay recently do they seem correct to you,I read in description that iron cross should go before Bavarian medal ,but Bavarians did not alwa

Default Real or Not

Hi I am new to WW1 German medals bought these from ebay recently do they seem correct to you,I read in description that iron cross should go before Bavarian medal ,but Bavarians did not always follow this rule any views welcome.I have added pics of 1866 war comm cross as Iwould like views on it as well. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or Not   Real or Not  

Real or Not   Real or Not  

Real or Not  
    Last edited by stalheim56; 08-11-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Default Re: Real or Not

HI, medals all look ok to me. And it is true before the 3rd reich came in, the German states medals usually took presedence over imperial medals. But that wasnt regulation.

Joe

I am no expert, but I think the Iron Cross should be the top dog in German medals, just my opinion, the 1866 medal is really nice, it's the first one I have seen, thank you for showing it.

regards Marty

stalheim56....Welcome to this section of the forum ! the first set, typical Bavarian type ribbons, it was often the case that the Bavarian 'Military Merit Cross III class with Swords' is placed before the Prussian 'Iron Cross' second class , when displayed and worn by a Bavarian veteran (other States did this), the 3rd mounted medal is the 'Ehrenkreuz des Weltkrieges' or the Combatants Cross of Honour , this is a nice genuine set. The last medal, 'Bavarian War Cross 1866' is for the war against Austria, and is genuine. Here is an example, that shows a rather faded ribbon for this award, which is usually the norm !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or Not  

Hi Thanks to all that have answered my questions ,I collect French medals and as yet they are not heavily faked, but I am quite taken by these WW1 German sets,nice to have a group able & willing to comment on originality backed by experience,so I probably will look to purchase some more,Thanks again.