Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Research on Heinrich Reisacher During World War 1

Article about: So I went on Ancestry and found four documents that show which units Heinrich fought in. I know they are all Heinrich's documents because the family information matches up for each. They all

?

Default Research on Heinrich Reisacher During World War 1

So I went on Ancestry and found four documents that show which units Heinrich fought in.
    I know they are all Heinrich's documents because the family information matches up for each.
    They all look very similar in the naming and I don't know why that would be.
    Are they all the same unit but got different designations as the war progressed?
    Heinrich did survive the war and I believe he became a teacher afterwards.
    Heinrich is my Great Great Uncle.

-Feld-Rekruten-Depot 9 Reserve-Division
    -Bayer. Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 10 (Gaimersheim)
    -Bayer. Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 10 (Gaimersheim) Ersatz-Bataillon
    -10. Bayer. Infanterie-Regiment (Ingolstadt) I. Ersatz-Bataillon

Here is some information on the 10. Bayer Infanterie-Regiment (Ingolstadt) 1. Ersatz-Bataillon
    -(There are some words that might sound "off" but I did my best with the translating)

1914 -It moved on August 2, 1914 as part of the mixed 11th Infantry Brigade (with imputed cavalry and artillery troops) as a leader tape in the area southeast of Metz (→ fortress of Metz ).
    After the order was withdrawn, on 20 August 1914, the Regiment attacked the French 68th reserve division, which was at Delme, and was involved in the occupation of the town the following morning.
    It participated further in the pursuit of the French troops, which led it before Nancy.
    The hardness of the battles was reflected in the losses (42 officers and more than 400 men) of the first few weeks, during which the commander-in-chief, Colonel Weiss, was severely wounded near St. Libaire on 7 September 1914, Reservelazarett Duss
    (Dieuze) died.
    After the Battle of Lorraine , the regiment replacement of five officers and 1,018 officers and men received.
    On September 11, 1914, the Regiment was dissolved and moved to the village of Spada, west of Metz.
    From there it rejected a French counter-attack and pushed forward to St. Mihiel on the Meuse.
    Two days later the regiment had lost over 500 men.
    On September 18, 1914, Oberstleutnant Mieg was entrusted with the command of the regiment, and on 27 October 1914 he was appointed commander.
    In November 1914, it again took the replacement of six officers and 1,000 men.
    The regiment buried itself at St. Mihiel during the winter of 1914/15.

1915 -On April 7, 1915, the regiment fought against the attacking French troops in the Ailly forest, where it had suffered heavy losses (17 officers and nearly 600 men).

1916 -For the Battle of Verdun , the regiment of the 1st Division was subordinated. It entered the Thiaumont Gorge on 23 June 1916 and stormed the Panzerfort Thiaumont.
    Although it had to break off the attack before the armory "Cold Earth", it could capture 60 French officers and 2673 men.
    There was mentioned in the official communique, the commander Colonel Mieg received the Knight's Cross of the Military Order of Max Joseph Order , the indescribable sacrifices were not called solely on that June 23. (140 killed, 1,000 wounded and 300 missing).
    In July 1916 the regimental substitute received in strength 41 officers and 1,550 men.
    On September 18, 1916, the regiment broke during the Battle of the Somme from the remains of the 9th and 14th Infantry Regiment and went deeply divided before the village of Flers in position.
    On September 26, 1916 British troops backed up with tanks a burglary north of Flers.
    Here, too, the losses of the regiment were considerable (twenty two officers, and about seven hundred men), but there was only a spare supply.

1917 -In 1917, the regiment moved to Flanders, where it was deployed eastwards Langemarck.
    On October 4, 1917, the regiment had to vacate the positions there after successful British burglaries and retreat to Poelkappelle.
    During these battles, the 1st Battalion was almost rubbed off, the III. Battalion was hit hard.

1918 -In the Spring Offensive in March 1918, the Regiment of Cagnicourt was able to advance to Boiry Bécquerelle-Boyelle (about 10-15 km), but had to break off the attack with heavy losses.
    The companies had an average of 55 to 60 rifles.
    On March 28, 1918, Major Johann Seisser was given command of the regiment.
    At the end of September 1918, the Regiment retreated to Urvillers south of St. Quentin, where it initially dismissed the French-American attacks, was withdrawn on October 10 to the Oise River, north of Guise, where it successfully defended the enemy taps until 4 November 1918.
    On October 12th, 1918, the regiment received a mines-light company, a regimental news train, and news for the battalions.
    In the following, the Regiment reached the city of Maubeuge on 11 November 1918 during the general retreat over Beaumont.
    Last edited by WillC; 01-15-2017 at 06:05 AM.

?

Here's an interesting postcard I found that shows the 10. Bayer. Infanterie-Regiment (Ingolstadt).

?

Here are the documents I found on Ancestry. I was unable to find any information about the award he received so that will remain a mystery.

?

Also on one of the Ancestry documents it lists Heinrich's name with 'Feldr' in front of it. I thought it might be short for the rank Feldwebel. Do you guys know what 'Feldr' means?

?

So correct me if I'm wrong on this but this appears to be a Russian Gymnastyorka? The only reason I'm posting this is because the jacket looks very similar to some ww1 uniforms I've seen. I was curious if any of you know what this is or if it's just a random jacket.
    Last edited by WillC; 04-18-2017 at 05:19 AM.

?

I also figured out that Heinrich's service is actually listed right in the Ancestry documents along with the medal he received. I was wrong in the previous posts about his service but this still is quite interesting to itself. Unfortunately their were some words that I was unable to translate and get further info. Also the combat history was cut off from the photo which is a real pain. (Its the small slip of paper attached to the last document on the right page). P.S. Static fighting means they were at a stand still in the trenches.

Combat History:

(10.8.15 - 10.xx.xx) : Storming the southern Leintrey heights

(10.15.15 - 10.17.15) : Struggle on the southern Leintrey heights

(9.19.16 - 10.8.16) : Struggle at the Argonne Forest

(10.12.16 - 11.6.16) : Static fighting in the mittl. Vosges

(11.13.16 - 1.4.17) : Static fighting in Lorraine

(1.14.17 - 8.31.17) : Static fighting at the Riga

(9.1.17 - 9.5.17) : Battle of Jugla

(9.6.17 - 10.22.17) : Static fighting north of the Daugava river

(12.6.17 - xx.xx.xx) : Ceasefire? Unknown

Awards:

(2.21.16) : Bavarian War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords