Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

s98/05 german bayonet

Article about: Hello guys, I was curious about this item and wether its handles and scabbard are original. Any red alerts on this one? Thank you all in advance

Default s98/05 german bayonet

Hello guys, I was curious about this item and wether its handles and scabbard are original. Any red alerts on this one? Thank you all in advance s98/05 german bayonets98/05 german bayonets98/05 german bayonets98/05 german bayonets98/05 german bayonets98/05 german bayonets98/05 german bayonets98/05 german bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement s98/05 german bayonet
    P
    Many

I think every thing is original but the grips look to have possibly
    be refinished.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I agree. The grips are looking fine and original though. They look like they were given a thourough cleaning. Maybe even varnish, or at least some protective oil has been added. But nothing too grave, they look very nice!

PS: the right hand side ricasso is blank I assume? It's an interesting maker, they only made these models in 1917. Often in association with Hartkopf or Carl Galle - both are Solingen firms (Carter).

?

Nothing at all wrong with either the grips or the scabbard, they are original to the bayonet as made. As far as the "too new" appearing condition of the grips, they probably look exactly as they did the day someone put the nearly new condition bayonet away and forgot about it due to a lack of interest. A slightly damp location, maybe an attic or a basement, would allow the metal to age and turn brown giving what today looks odd in contrast to the very nice grips with original finish as applied when manufactured. Just my opinion of course, but I believe I am right. Apply a light coat of oil to the steel surfaces and wipe down - that may actually remove some of the brown - and it will be well preserved for future viewers/collectors.