Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??

Article about: Guy's would like your opinion on these as I'm guessing 1870's period . Thanks, Hal

Hal
    ?

Default Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??

Guy's would like your opinion on these as I'm guessing 1870's period . Thanks, Hal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??   Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??  

Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??   Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??  

Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??   Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??  

Attached Images Attached Images Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period?? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??

Hal, both these swords could of been around during the Franco-Prussian war, both are Prussian artillery swords, the sabre is typical of the design that was used from Napoleonic times to 1918 by officers & nco's in the Imperial army, etched blade includes cannon depiction, maker marked ' W.K. & C ', Wayersberg, Kirschbaum & Company, based in Solingen. Is the blade marked on its spine at the top ?, usually an Imperial acceptance mark, i.e. a crown & date. The other sword is based on the 1840 Faschinmesser (Short Sword), & was of the type used by the Prussians in the 1870/71 war, i have photographs showing artillerymen still wearing this type of sword well into WW1, it is an artillery short sword usually carried by enlisted men, it has lots of markings, sword & scabbard 'regimentals' not matching, which is common. The sword is marked '10.A.F. 3. ', this is:- 'Command , 10th Foot Artillery, 3rd weapon, Niedersachsiches Fussartillerie-Regt Nr 10 Strasburg, XV Armee Korps, no other markings. But the scabbard appears to have done the rounds!...old markings crossed out, i cannot make them out in the photo, can you ?..the newer regimentals ' 118.R.5.???. (the last three digits the weapon number i cannot make out). These markings belong to:- ' 118th Infantry Regiment, 5th company followed by the weapon number ', Inf-Regt Prinz Carl (4th Grosherzoglich Hessisches) Nr 118 (Worms) XVIII Armee Korps , as you can see a Hessian unit. I hope this helps.

My great grandfather emigrated to the US after serving in the Prussian Army. One of his lasting possesions is a short sword as shown. I have been looking for an ID on this sword for years and this is the first time I have seen another one.

does any one have any idea of the value?

df12051, please post photo.....

I believe that the sabre is a much later manufacture. Note that the scabbard has a single suspension ring. Prior to 1890(?) German scabbards had two rings.

wow hal very nice piece them two are, top history!!

regards ewan

Sorry - no way to past a picture but the short sword with the black leather scabbard pictured in the original post is the same as I have. My grandfather was in the US by 1880 thus the 1870 period for this sword must be correct. If if had been issued after 1890 he would not have been in Germany to have been issued one.

I am going to try to make out the numbers stamped into the scabbard to see if anyone can ID the unit the sword was assigned to.

Andrew Stewart
    ?

I have an exact copy of the smaller one that I assume my great grandfather grabbed from someone in the trenches in WW1, (probably thought he wouldn't need it where he was going) he was in the 102nd battalion CEF. Not that I would ever sell it but any idea of its worth?

Quote by Andrew Stewart View Post
    I have an exact copy of the smaller one that I assume my great grandfather grabbed from someone in the trenches in WW1.
    Andrew Stewart, first, welcome to the forum !....second, indeed, you great-grandfather would have obtained the 'short sword' whilst in the trenches....heres a photograph showing their use in WW1, has to be after 1916 as the artillerymen are wearing M16 steelhelmets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sabre & Falchion...Franco-Prussian War Period??  

Andrew Stewart
    ?

Thats really cool! I am going to display this picture with the sword, thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast