Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?

Article about: Hi, I was thinking... was the removal of sawbacks regulated? By that I mean the technical specs of the actual handling. I've seen different 'ways' in which this was done, one more thorough t

?

Very nice collection of 98/05's Kris
    Semper Fi
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?
    P
    Many

"Hi Gunny, any markings on your butcher, other than the added serial number? Were the grips missing when you found it, or did it come this way?"
    It's got a VERY feint P stamped on the blade, too feint to photograph, the grips were fitted when i got it, i understand the Poles fitted smooth grips!....

"PS: looks like a plain model, not a removed sawback. The serial number is a puzzle. I noticed it on many pieces, mostly Waffenfabrik Mausers."
    I think it's an ex sawback because it's got grinding marks all the way to the false edge!...

Strange. Did you compare the width of the blade at the ricasso with a regular plain model?

Quote by Kris1981 View Post
    Strange. Did you compare the width of the blade at the ricasso with a regular plain model?
    No Kris i haven't measured it and don't know what the measurements are!...

?

Would love to see some more pictures when you have the time. While the Poles did replace the grips with smooth ones, they would normally reuse the original grip screws.

Jim

Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?Sawback removal on 98/05 blades: regulations?
    A couple more photos for you Jim, like i said i assumed it was a removed sawback due to grinding most of the way down the spine!..
    Kris, the ricasso is 25 mm at about 20mm from the front of the cross guard!..

?

Thanks for the extra pictures Gunny. I think that the grinding marks you are seeing on the spine of the blade is from heavy cleaning by someone, either with a sander or a heavy wire wheel. A butcher with saw teeth removed will have very little, if any edge above the fuller. I'm sure what you have is an S98/05nA (non sawback) that was heavily scaled with rust, that someone cleaned up and replaced the grips at that time.

That's too bad, as a Polish rework would be a nice find. On the upside, it could still be a decent bayo if you can find a cheap set of original grips and screws to put back on it.

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim, not really bad news as i paid very little for it, i think it cost me 50 zlotys (£10) from a flea market in Krakow, I will keep my eyes open for some grips and screws!....

With a price like that, you have to take it ;-)

Can anyone tell me about the over stamped serial number please?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast