Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!

Article about: This one i got today: a great M1871 and the icing on the cake: his name on the grip! leather of the scabbard in great condition, etching is a bit faint but still there! he name is on the : K

?

Default SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!

This one i got today:
    a great M1871 and the icing on the cake: his name on the grip!
    leather of the scabbard in great condition, etching is a bit faint but still there!
    he name is on the : Kriegsranglisten und -stammrollen des Königreichs Bayern, 1. Weltkrieg 1914-1918: Heinrich Throm
    He died in 1916
    Does anyone recognizes the army branch by the etching?
    Enjoy the pics,
    Ger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!   SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!  

SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!   SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!  

SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!   SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!
    P
    Many

Default Re: SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!

Not able to help with info, but what a great find

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Default Re: SG M1871 Dress Dagger, etched blade and with owners name engraved on grip!!

nice find.

?

A great looking bayonet Ger My favourite to date...Just like the look & length of the thing...You should put something next to it for scale!!!..Because it looks long but the question is how long??....Saying that still a pretty impressive bayonet thanks for sharing I like it... Cheers Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    A great looking bayonet Ger My favourite to date...Just like the look & length of the thing...You should put something next to it for scale!!!..Because it looks long but the question is how long??....Saying that still a pretty impressive bayonet thanks for sharing I like it... Cheers Terry.
    Hi Tel,

The bayo has a blade around 18" long and the total length including the grip is 23 1/2" give or take an eighth. As far as the engraving goes, it's actually rolled on by machine, not etched or engraved, and the actual design is not specific to any branch, as the design incorporates swords, pikes, muskets, artillery and drums etc. although they are often advertised as Infantry Dress bayonets. The personalised engraving on the hilt and sometimes stamps on the ricasso may indicate what regiment the owner was a member of.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree with Ned. I can see Cavalry Sabres, Infantry Pikes, Artillery pieces-even what looks like a Drum. I imagine that this engraving was generic to cover any and all field branches. Great side arm and Named no less!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Cheers Ned, I think it is rather interesting piece I don't much if anything about these pieces. "apart from I wouldn't like to be on the end of it"...So thanks for the info & you should be in bed too.. Cheers Terry.

?

Thx Big man

the design being rolled i didnt know, so i learned something new, Thx NED!
    i was wondering why it felt different then a normal etching, bur being rolled on would explains that and also explain why its getting faint too!
    Now i can work on the man behind the bayonet so to say
    Pity that its an standard rolled"etching"and not a specific branch.
    It would made the search for a match easier, when there is more then 1 enlisting is in the Dienstlist's who has the same name.
    But having him served also in 1906-08 could make the search easier....its a bit like my Honourring of Frankfurt....a Challange
    and that one was brought to an satisfied end!

Thx for the replies Gents!
    Ger