Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Silesian Eagle - help please!

Article about: Hi gents! Does anyone have any opinions on this piece please? The seller usually has '57 legal items, but is this original? ORIGINAL SILESIAN EAGLE 1st CLASS ORDER MEDAL BADGE IN BLACK ENAME

Default Silesian Eagle - help please!

Hi gents! Does anyone have any opinions on this piece please? The seller usually has '57 legal items, but is this original?

ORIGINAL SILESIAN EAGLE 1st CLASS ORDER MEDAL BADGE IN BLACK ENAMEL | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Silesian Eagle - help please!   Silesian Eagle - help please!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Silesian Eagle - help please!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Silesian Eagle - help please!

My first impression is that it's a fake - but I do not have any experience with these.
    What I see and what the seller claims, are two different things, IMO.

He says it is tombac, and that the silver is worn. I see no wear but for a wee bit
    of tarnish. If the silver plating was worn, you would expect to see at least
    some of the yellow tombac/brass showing through.........
    Regards,

Steve.

The black enamels were put out sometime in the 1920's and were considered a "deluxe" pin, however, the pin being offered by this seller on eBay only Vaguely resembles genuine specimens. I have never seen one, for example, with the black enameling around the writing-almost every one I've seen has been bare metal on the banner. I also do not like the hinge and pin mechanism on the back-it does not look like any genuines either. Overall, despite having "wear", as the seller states, the enamel looks pristine and new on this one-Much too new. Originals are out there and are not rare-something like 250,000 were made and a good number of them were maker marked by such prestigious makers as Godet. This pin certainly doesn't look to have the quality one would expect. From the photo, oddly enough, the only wear that I can see seems to be on the cross and crescent-but nowhere else? If I were looking to buy a Silesian Eagle, this is one that I would pass on. There's more out there-and good ones.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hello Troy
    This item looks like it was made yesterday with next to no patina or age wear that one would expect. This seller does indeed have a lot of
    1957 items & his ebay inventory quite often features some decidedly dodgy pieces at ridiculous prices.

Regards
    Brett

Hi Troy, I have added the pics to the thread: E Bay links die in time, so it is vital the pics are saved as otherwise the thread becomes useless.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Troy: This is what they looked like in 1918-1919. Dwight

This example is in my country its expensive;

What do you think? it seems to be genuine