Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The sinking of S/S Fanny

Article about: Hello i have a questien about the sinking of the S / S Fanny 1918 09 19th the ship was hit by a torpedo when it was located at the entrance to the Raz de Sein and sank two of the crew died.M

Default The sinking of S/S Fanny

Hello i have a questien
    about the sinking of the S / S Fanny 1918 09 19th the ship was hit by a torpedo when it was located at the entrance to the Raz de Sein and sank two of the crew died.My grandfather was the last person who held the helm when the torpedo hit and was thrown overboard. I Wunder if some one have details of the submarine that operated in the area 1918-09 - 10?. My grandfather survived
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: The sinking of S/S Fanny

swebat67: I think you are asking about the SS Fanny, a 1450 grt Swedish registered freighter that UB-88 torpedoed in the approach to Raz de Sein on 19 September 1918. Here is a photo of the SS Fanny
    The sinking of S/S Fanny
    According to the UB-88 log, the Fanny was in a 30-ship convoy on a southerly course. The Uboat made a submerged attack, firing two torpedoes aimed at two separate targets in the convoy. One torpedo hit the Fanny, which was loded with coal for delivery in Bordeaux. The UB-88 survived the war and was turned over to the United States in 1918. On 3 June 1921 the UB-28 was sunk as a target ship south of Long Beach Harbor. She is the only U-Boat wreck on the west coast of the United States. Here is a photo of the UB-88 after the war when she was part of the Victory Bond drive in 1919. Dwight
    The sinking of S/S Fanny

Default Re: The sinking of S/S Fanny

Many Thanks what I look for pictures and information once again THANK YOU
    Best regards Bosse