Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SM U-35 Submarine

Article about: I am currently trying to put together information on this submarine ,when she was under the command of Lothar Von Arnauld de La Periere. There are are number of conflicting images on the net

?

Default Re: SM U-35 Submarine

Hi Al,
    This is a great site, have a look at the Deutschland forum. I am still researching the U-35 but haven't turned up anything significant. Cheers GaryM

Hello all,

I'm researching for SM U-35, during La Pierre's, because of episode in the south of Portugal, April 24th 1917. U-35 sunk four ships in that day 1 to 2 miles off the Portuguese coast.

Any info, documents, photos or KTB would be of great help. The photos in the thread are from U-35?

The mascote mentioned, anyone have a clear picture of it? I'm planning to make a scale model. Does anyone knows a model to purchase and build?

Best regards

Jorge Russo
    CINAV - PO Navy Research Centre
    Portugal

Jorge, Contact me at judgeyacht@yahoo.com-- I have some info ! Al Hunt, 7 mi from USNA, Annapolis, Maryland, USA

Jorg: This is a excerpt from Arno Spindler, Handelskrieg mit U-Booten, 1914-1918, vol IV, which might be useful to you. The boat's KTB is found in The Records of the German Navy, 1850-1945, microfilm copies of which are held by the British National Archives and the US National Archives at College Park, MD. The US NARA record group (RG) is RG242 and the microfilm publication is T1022. There is a finding guide for T1022 that will tell you exactly which microfilm roll you will need to buy to read the KTB ffor that patrol period. The Bundesarchiv holds the original documents, I think in Freiburg. Dwight
    SM U-35 Submarine

Thank you so much drmessimer,

This was very helpull.

Best wishes

Jorge Russo
    CINAV - PO Navy Research Centre
    Portugal

For those of you who might not have seen the 1917 German newsreel on the U-35 at war called Der magische Gürtel this link will take you to it. I have forgotten how long it runs, but it is the full length film not just a video clip. Dwight Der magische Gürtel - 1917 - German Propaganda in WW1 - YouTube
    Last edited by drmessimer; 02-22-2014 at 05:10 AM.

Aprox 45 min

Yes, with the 2 reels aprox. 45'. The box set from the Imperial War Mesuem is a must have, because has the original German footage, the british editing and a book. It is a very relevant document regarding war propaganda from both sides, and an incredible document to the submarine warfare.

Cheers

Jorge Russo

You may be interested in a couple of e-Books from Project Gutenberg:

The Diary of a U-boat Commander by Sir Stephen King-Hall - Free Ebook and The Journal of Submarine Commander von Forstner by Forstner - Free Ebook - I rather liked them.

There are also others on this site.

Cheers

Thanks Allegra,

That's great

Cheers

Jorge Russo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3