Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SM U-35 Submarine

Article about: I am currently trying to put together information on this submarine ,when she was under the command of Lothar Von Arnauld de La Periere. There are are number of conflicting images on the net

?

Default SM U-35 Submarine

I am currently trying to put together information on this submarine ,when she was under the command of Lothar Von Arnauld de La Periere.
    There are are number of conflicting images on the net but nothing substantive. Finding photographs of the original boat is very difficult and considering the fame inside Germany of her skipper this is most surprising. Attached are images I have found which in general don't currently appear on the web.
    Any additional photographs of U-35 or her crew would be most helpful.Attachment 483629Attachment 483630Attachment 483631Attachment 483632Attachment 483633Attachment 483634

?

Default Re: SM U-35 Submarine

I don't know how accurate it is but Yankee Modelworks makes/made a 1/350 scale model of U-35 here's a pic of the one I built. I hope you don't mind.
    SM U-35 Submarine
    SM U-35 Submarine

You cant beat a good Sub !!! And I dont mean the fast food joint !

Do you have a family connection ??

?

Great model looks good and it certainly resembles U-35 in 1917. No I don't have any personal connection just an avid interest in all Imperial WW1 submarines. Both the Kaiserliche Marine and the KUK. Unfortunately good quality photographs of this period in submarine naval history are relatively hard to find.

Hi Gary

Yes the subject of submarines has become more attarctive to myself recently, I can understand your passion, where I have been working recently there are lots of old period photographs of British WW1 subs, and later ones, dont want to go into it too much, in fact they may have built the first ever submarine, dont quote me on that

?

If you like good stories of WW1 U-boats try and get a copy of the book Raiders of the Deep by Lowell Thomas. Originally published in 1928 it was re-released a couple years back.

Thomas talked to some of the best U-boat commanders, including von Arnauld and they tell of their cruises, some quiet humorous. A great read for anyone interested in the men and their time.

What bugs me is, is the romance surrounding the U-Boats. There were lots of other submariners in WW1 and WW2, Germany expected too much of their Submariners, that was their downfall I believe

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Germany expected too much of their Submariners, that was their downfall I believe
    I agree with that statement, the German surface fleet in both World Wars were pretty much ineffective and for the most part stayed in ports, putting the brunt of the battle of the Atlantic squarely on the backs of the U-boat arm.

Quote by Hagen View Post
    If you like good stories of WW1 U-boats try and get a copy of the book Raiders of the Deep by Lowell Thomas. Originally published in 1928 it was re-released a couple years back.

Thomas talked to some of the best U-boat commanders, including von Arnauld and they tell of their cruises, some quiet humorous. A great read for anyone interested in the men and their time.
    I would like to learn more about our British submariners first to be honest, I feel I now have a small connection to them. I have respect for all of them as a whole, allied, axis, soviet, I have been on a submarine and it really is not for me !!!

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    I have respect for all of them as a whole, allied, axis, soviet, I have been on a submarine and it really is not for me !!!
    I took a tour of the US submarine Torsk at Baltimore Harbor, you wouldn't find me on one either. And the WW1 boats were worse.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast