MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Souvenir from UB 110

Article about: Hi all. picked this up at a antique shop. All I know about it is what is engraved on it and the little bit of history on the UB 110 that I have looked at on the web. I do not believe this to

Default Souvenir from UB 110

Hi all. picked this up at a antique shop. All I know about it is what is engraved on it and the little bit of history on the UB 110 that I have looked at on the web. I do not believe this to be from the more famous U 110 from which an enigma machine was captured. If anyone could suggest what part this is or where to go about finding out it would be very helpful. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Souvenir from UB 110   Souvenir from UB 110  

Souvenir from UB 110   Souvenir from UB 110  

Souvenir from UB 110  

Default Re: Souvenir from UB 110

Spitace41: Well, it says ist part of a torpedo, which I infer came from UB-110, which was depthcharged, rammed, and sunk in 54-39N:0-55W on 19 July 1918. ML263 dropped the depth charge and HMS Garry rammed the boat when it surfaced and then rammed it again when it resurfaced. The sinking occurred about 3 nautical miles south of Hartlepool, and thirty-two men escaped from the boat before it went down for good. British sailors aboard the two attacking vessels shot and killed nineteen men in the water. Neutral vessels that arrived on the scene picked up 13 survivors, among them Kapitänleutnant Werner Fürbringer.
    What interests me about this piece you have is not only wondering what is it exactly, but how did come to be recovered from the wreck? I don't have any information regarding divers having found the wreck, which is possible, but I do keep up on those things in order to update my book Verschollen: World War I U-Boat Losses, Naval Institute Press, 2002. If you want me to, I will see if I can find a exploded view of the type of torpedo the UB-110 carried. I don't think it's a part of the U-boat because nearly every part, and replacement parts, were stamped with the boat's U-number. Divers that find the wrecks typically identify the boat by the U-number stamped on the propellers. Whatever it is, it's an interesting piece. How did you come by it? Dwight

" British sailors aboard the two attacking vessels shot and killed nineteen men in the water." Such a wonderful display of chivalry.....damn the dangerous swimming enemy combatants!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Wagriff: It happened in both wars on more than one occasion and was not limited to any single belligerent. They all did it. Dwight

?

But WW1 was supposed to be the age of chivalry. You aimed to put the enemy's equipment out of action first, and the killing of the enemy if that was the only resort second.
    Something distasteful about shooting unarmed men in the water, especially as their equipment was already sunk and put out of action.

Nick: You're right, but that sort of thing occurs on land, sea, and in the air; the latter since the introduction of the parachute which turned downed airmen into slowly descending targets. All belligerents do it at one time or another. But this is probably not the place to engage in a lengthy discussion of the subject. Dwight

?

I myself believe there is no such thing as chivalry in war and agree with drmessimer that atrocities were committed by all the combatants involved in both wars actually let me refine that a little farther (ALL WARS) and this thread was supposed to be about a quest for information on a souvenir from UB 110 .
    drmessimer was kind enough to add some data concerning this UB and in it are the details of the action and an incident involving the death of the crew men after the sub was sank.
    It would be nice to keep this thread on track as I for one find it an interesting piece of history and if we want to discuss atrocities in war possibly we should start a different thread concerning these matters.

Kind regards Mark k
    Last edited by Mark K; 12-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.

?

Sorry, yes you're right, wrong place. Just making observation on the UB110 story.
    I'd love to know what the item is, but it looks to me like some sort of calibrating/adjusting device. Maybe something that was left on land/sent home as a souvenir, as opposed to being taken from the wreck?

Just on the lighter side as i dont want to derail this thread,, but the word "calibrating" is another term for getting hit in the head from this item from a wife who does not understand this type of collecting. Looks like someone went to alot of trouble to had it engraved in English,,and possibly depreciating it slightly in value. I see it as a one of a kind item...and would be nice to see it was from the U-110. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Wagriff: It happened in both wars on more than one occasion and was not limited to any single belligerent. They all did it. Dwight
    True that...but only the Losers ever seemed to get Hung for it...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast