Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Spott Medal 1920

Article about: Hi Everyone, A book dealer friend of mine found this medal at the bottom of a carton of books he bought. To it appears to be a spott / ridicule medal aimed against black french colonial sold

?

Default Spott Medal 1920

Hi Everyone,
    A book dealer friend of mine found this medal at the bottom of a carton of books he bought. To it appears to be a spott / ridicule medal aimed against black french colonial soldiers in the occupied areas of Germany (Alsac, Rheinland) after WW1 and the dangers of German women fraternizing with them.
    I got to wondering, how they used them, they are large 55mm without a hanging ring, were they a table piece, or perhaps stood up on the mantelpiece, laid on the sideboard, it hard to imagine they were carried around. Does any member have any further information, ran it through google without turning up anything new. My friend would like to know what its roughly worth.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spott Medal 1920   Spott Medal 1920  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Spott Medal 1920
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Spott Medal 1920

This link has more info and price quote. Don't know if it's realistic. scroll down midpage Good luck

Wehrmacht

What a great piece of propoganda to find at the bottom of a box of books
    Regards, Simon.

Default Re: Spott Medal 1920http://warrelics.eu/forum/fusion/misc/expand_main_table.gif

What precisely is the lady tied to?

Seriously though, a very interesting piece on a topical area of the inter war period. Many so called 'Rhineland bastards', the result of fraternisation between French Colonial Troops and German women were systematically sterilised under a programme during the Third Reich.

For anyone a book by Hans Massaquoi which I read, gave a good account of growing up as a black child during the Third Reich. Hans Massaquoi was a Liberian diplomat's grandson so somewhat different background.

Interesting thread. That is the first one of these I've ever seen.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Hello Gentlemen,
    Thanks for your posts & links. I did find a few tips & further links which took me through various English & German coin collecting forums gathering a bit of a education on the way. Apparently this spott medal was designed by the leading medal designer of his day Karl Goetz and was called "Die schwarze Schande / Die schwarze Schmach" and is part of long tradition of ridicule medals, struck, starting 400 years ago attacking the pope, Jews, french soldiers from Franco / Prussian war, English soldiers in the Boer war, etc.
    Back to this Bronze one, which seems to be retailing on coin sites at about 120 Euro,there's a aluminum one at 150 euro and a gold one for 1000 euro. Although one went on ebay for as little as 25 euro and one is on offer on an American site given in Aldo's link for $350.
    My book dealer friend should be well pleased, when I tell him what they are going for, considering, how fortuitously he came by it. Probably worth more than all his books.
    Cheers Everyone

Nice one... I would buy it anyday if the price was right.