Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Stabilising a relic M16 helmet with beeswax

Article about: After Steve (H the M) mentioned he uses beeswax to stabilise relic helmets I thought I’d give it go too and am happy with the result, even though there’s a bit of arm ache involved. Belo

?

Default Stabilising a relic M16 helmet with beeswax

After Steve (H the M) mentioned he uses beeswax to stabilise relic helmets I thought I’d give it go too and am happy with the result, even though there’s a bit of arm ache involved.

Below are a few before, in between and after pics of the helmet I bought at a flea market a couple of weeks or so ago.

The pitting where the liner band once was may suggest it had a M17 liner?

Thanks for the tip Steve.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stabilising a relic M16 helmet with beeswax   Stabilising a relic M16 helmet with beeswax  

Stabilising a relic M16 helmet with beeswax   Stabilising a relic M16 helmet with beeswax  

Stabilising a relic M16 helmet with beeswax   Stabilising a relic M16 helmet with beeswax  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stabilising a relic M16 helmet with beeswax
    P
    Many

The wax doesn't leave white residue in the rust holes?

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    The wax doesn't leave white residue in the rust holes?
    Mate, I made the wax myself (a mixture of beeswax, turps and linseed oil) and gave it a smooth, creamy texture to avoid making it difficult to rub off residue and also to make it easier to apply. I suppose the size of the rust holes play a role too but this helmet doesn't appear to have been under the ground for a long time if at all, jumping on it and kicking it makes no difference to its appearance so it's a good solid relic.

It's worth giving it a go in my opinion and it's a good, cleaner alternative to acid but then anyone should obviously stick to the method they prefer.

I've been using this method since the 1980's with great success, and I cannot recall ever seeing white residue left in pitting. Sometimes I give a good thick coat and then apply a bit of heat with a blow torch - although that can be a bit risky for obvious reasons! It is also a method used by museums to keep rust at bay. See my relic M40 posted earlier for the results.