Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Stahlhelm (M16/M17)

Article about: Hello everyone, this is my first post so I hope it's in the right place At the moment I am looking at a M16/M17 Stahlhelm for sale, however what bothers me slightly is the placement of the h

Default Stahlhelm (M16/M17)

Hello everyone,

this is my first post so I hope it's in the right place

At the moment I am looking at a M16/M17 Stahlhelm for sale, however what bothers me slightly is the placement of the holes for the chinstrap mounts. Looking closely at the photographs it is somewhat possible to see that the holes are placed asymmetrical, when looking from above. Also from the sides, it is as if one is futher back than the other, from the 'visor slope'. I have no doubt that it is a genuine German helmet from WWI, however does anyone know the possible reasons for difference in placement for the holes?

Also if anyone knows, how much are helmets like these worth (in this condition)?

Any help is appreciated

Stahlhelm (M16/M17)Stahlhelm (M16/M17)Stahlhelm (M16/M17)Stahlhelm (M16/M17)Stahlhelm (M16/M17)Stahlhelm (M16/M17)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm (M16/M17)
    P
    Many

It could be an M18 that had some random holes drilled in it. Just shells aren't usually bringing a lot of money. Maybe $50-100 at the very most IMO... See what others say before you commit or dismiss though.

Thank you for the quick reply Nathan.

However the stamp/marking is bothering me since it's missing the 'L' between the 'rattle' or 'bell' logo. It is supposed to be a 'bell' followed by the letter 'L' and then 64 which is the only size that particular factory offered. Factory mistake perhaps such as with the chinstrap mounts? Or is it an unknown factory that no one has heard of before?

Stahlhelm (M16/M17)

the air vent lugs exhibit a typical roundness on ends characteristic of the Bell L factory construction, so i think the L was simply omitted by mistake. this is an M16, the holes are in the right place for the chinstrap posts. most likely someone just used it for parts, since both posts being lost to time would not be likely... it's a nice starter shell.

Holes seem to be in the same position as on my example...

Stahlhelm (M16/M17)Stahlhelm (M16/M17)

Hello, Just checked my example and the holes are in exactly the same configuration as yours (though my one still has the chinstrap bales attached). Right hand bale is set further back then that on the left side.

Thank you for the feedback everyone

The helmet has already been sold and I am unfortunately not the new owner - hopefully I will have better luck next time. Does anyone here know of someone selling a decent M16/M18?