Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Strange German helmet

Article about: I saw this German helmet for sale on a auction site. What info can you guys give me real or fake and value do not want to pay more than I should for it ,if it is real.

Default Re: Strange German helmet

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Value is hard to place since it is a niche area of collecting, but I would throw out a wild guesstimate of 600 dollars give or take. What is the current bid on this item?
    Well the current bid is 99$ with 4 days to go,it will not stay at that price.
    I am still thinking on this helmet if I should get it or not.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange German helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by oradour View Post
    Gentlemen, the only soldier to touch this helmet (a rather nice "splodge" cammo Austro-Hungarian helmet) would of been its "Liberator" !...probably a "Doughboy", its trench art, nothing more, nothing less !...the attachment of the Wappen (Baden) and cockades would of been a punishable offence under both German and Austro-Hungarian military law (damage/defacing of government property)...it would NEVER of been done by a member of the German military. Nice if you like this kind of thing......and, any way, it was the other way round, German M16 helmets were worn by KuK forces, but the Austro-Hungarian helmet was never issued to German forces !
    Prost ! Steve.
    nothing at all sorry take this post off my count.
    Last edited by crazy horse; 12-08-2010 at 01:12 AM.

3mk
    ?

I dont think Oradour is trying to be offensive, the term Doughboy isnt meant to be offensive? The soldiers refered to themselfs like that. Its just like how they used the word GI in World War 2

And some theories on how it started Origins of "Doughboy"

Hi Marty, not sure what you mean here? But there is nothing offensive about the term Doughboy for a WW1 US soldier.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    sir for you to be a moderater I find your DOUGHBOY comment offensive & rude. I could say some things about the other countries involved , but I am not stooping to that level. thank you.
    Sir !.....I am at a loss of what I have done wrong....please elaborate.
    WW1 history lesson :- Tommy = British Soldier, Fritz = German Soldier, Poilu (meaning "Hairy One" !) = French Soldier, Doughboy = American Soldier, Digger = Australian Soldier, and no doubt others can add to the list, these nomanclature are affectionate period nicknames, and when spoken by me are uttered in great reverance and with great humility, so please, enlighten me, as to your gripe. Prost ! Steve.

?

Steve, you havent committed an atrocity of the English language , i would assume that there has been a "lost in translation" hiccup and as for us "limeys", well weve lived with that one since the spanish armada or even before, so come on CH, there was no offence intended nor inferred, its now in your hands to see the light and take it as meant, a historical reference to an actual but fond name given to US soldiers and armed forces

Quote by oradour View Post
    Sir !.....I am at a loss of what I have done wrong....please elaborate.
    WW1 history lesson :- Tommy = British Soldier, Fritz = German Soldier, Poilu (meaning "Hairy One" !) = French Soldier, Doughboy = American Soldier, Digger = Australian Soldier, and no doubt others can add to the list, these nomanclature are affectionate period nicknames, and when spoken by me are uttered in great reverance and with great humility, so please, enlighten me, as to your gripe. Prost ! Steve.
    it wasn't the term doughboy, I am well aware of where that name came from, it actually came from the American soldiers, it was just the fact that you stopped your statement & made the comment in qoutation marks like American soldiers had nothing better to do than mess with a helmet, just forget it. i apoligize & lets just forget it & move on please. because everyone is going to start butting in and twisting it all out of sorts. so lets just move on ok, sorry. you know I usually try to stay out of bad situations, so I erased my reply. & everyone else I'm well aware of all the nicknames in every war, thank you! I still think it's a cool looking helmet.

?

It was one of the proudest moments of my life to be called Digger for the first time!! During recuit training at 1 Recruit Traninig Battalion in the the early 90's we hadnt earned the right to be called Digger till our final march out parade, If the CO didnt think the parade was up to standard, he wouldn't end his speech with the words "Digger, welcome to the Australian Army" and we would have to fo it again till he was happy. So on the march out, all we wanted to here at the end of his speech were those words! Lucky we bunged it on and at the end of his speech he paused for a good few minutes while we anxiously waited to here those vital words!!!

?

Oi digger!!!!

Quote by qotd View Post
    It was one of the proudest moments of my life to be called Digger for the first time!! During recuit training at 1 Recruit Traninig Battalion in the the early 90's we hadnt earned the right to be called Digger till our final march out parade, If the CO didnt think the parade was up to standard, he wouldn't end his speech with the words "Digger, welcome to the Australian Army" and we would have to fo it again till he was happy. So on the march out, all we wanted to here at the end of his speech were those words! Lucky we bunged it on and at the end of his speech he paused for a good few minutes while we anxiously waited to here those vital words!!!
    ok, that is a new one to me I never knew they called Aussie's Digger. I have heard every name good, or bad that different nations military were called, so inform me please what does it mean, really I am intrested to know? thanks.oh btw i'm half American Indian & half Limey, my last name is Simpson. yes I know the name Limey came from British sailors eating limes & lemons, etc to fight off scurvey.
    Marty

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast