Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

U boat WW1 badge with no pin - is it genuine??

Article about: About 1976 a USN Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941 veteran friend suggested I buy this WW1 U boat badge at a gun show. He thought it was pre 1945 manufacture made to be sewn onto the uniform of a WW

Default U boat WW1 badge with no pin - is it genuine??

About 1976 a USN Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941 veteran friend suggested I buy this WW1 U boat badge at a gun show. He thought it was pre 1945 manufacture made to be sewn onto the uniform of a WW1 veteran. Another collector at the time considered it a reproduction. I bought the badge but never researched it to find when it may have been made. The remnants of frosted gilt finish on the front led me to think my old friend may be right.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U boat WW1 badge with no pin - is it genuine??   U boat WW1 badge with no pin - is it genuine??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U boat WW1 badge with no pin - is it genuine??
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: U boat WW1 badge with no pin - is it genuine??

These stamped hollow pieces do exist but are less common than the solid struck examples. I imagine to cater for a 'smaller pocket ' or just for lightweight wear. The badge looks OK to me and I suspect is probably an unfinished example .If it was to be a sew on badge then it would I assume have drill holes around the edge. The U-boat badge was issued for many years after the war (into the 30's) so it could be from 1918- 30's.Ferg1

Default Re: U boat WW1 badge with no pin - is it genuine??

can anyone tell me the value of this? Its in fine condition thankyou
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U boat WW1 badge with no pin - is it genuine??   U boat WW1 badge with no pin - is it genuine??