Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463

Article about: Dear all, I intend to sculpt and paint two members of the German Infanterie Regiment 463 who fought at the southern sector of Passchendaele between 26th and 31st October 1917. After some res

Rik
    ?

Default Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463

Dear all,

I intend to sculpt and paint two members of the German Infanterie Regiment 463 who fought at the southern sector of Passchendaele between 26th and 31st October 1917.

After some research I bought a book about this unit which among others contain some pictures of the uniforms and equipment that this unit worn during their various battles. With my basic knowledge of German uniforms during the First World War I started off to have a closer look on the photographs in the hopes to determine what uniforms the men on the photographs are wearing.

- As such I think some of these men wear the 1915 Waffenrock with Brandenburger cuffs while others wear the 1915 simplified tunic-

Can you please tell me what you think about this assumption. Are there any things of interest that spring to your mind when looking at the photographs? What about their boots?

Your expertise and help is much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Rik
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463   Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463  

Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463   Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463  

Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463   Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463  

Default Re: Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463

Hi, welcome to the Imperial sub section.....an interesting project to be sure, the bulk of the uniforms worn at this late stage of the war would be the Model 1915 blouse (Bavaria adopted them in 1916), see here for more in depth information http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/m15bluse.htmthese these tunics had no fancy cuffs, just turn backs (Barrel cuffs) , no piped and buttoned rear skirt flaps and no piping other than on the shoulder straps and are quite distinctive with their fly fronts (covered front buttons).....being field grey with apple green collars, the Bavarian version having field grey collar. the simplified or Vereinfachte tunic is basically a simplified M1907/10 Waffenrock, and can be found with a combination of features used on the M10 tunic...see here for those features
    Model 1910 Vereinfachte (Simplified) Feldrock as to combat equipment boots etc...best to look here also...
    Index Feldgrau Equipment and search this site, it will or should give you what you are looking for in great depth......Good luck !
    Prost 1 Steve.

Rik
    ?

Default Re: Uniforms used by German Infanterie Regiment 463

Quote by oradour View Post
    Hi, welcome to the Imperial sub section.....an interesting project to be sure, the bulk of the uniforms worn at this late stage of the war would be the Model 1915 blouse (Bavaria adopted them in 1916), see here for more in depth information http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/m15bluse.htmthese these tunics had no fancy cuffs, just turn backs (Barrel cuffs) , no piped and buttoned rear skirt flaps and no piping other than on the shoulder straps and are quite distinctive with their fly fronts (covered front buttons).....being field grey with apple green collars, the Bavarian version having field grey collar. the simplified or Vereinfachte tunic is basically a simplified M1907/10 Waffenrock, and can be found with a combination of features used on the M10 tunic...see here for those features
    Model 1910 Vereinfachte (Simplified) Feldrock as to combat equipment boots etc...best to look here also...
    Index Feldgrau Equipment and search this site, it will or should give you what you are looking for in great depth......Good luck !
    Prost 1 Steve.
    Hi Oradour, thanks for your feedback. So when looking at the photographs what tunics do you think the men of this unit are wearing?

On some of the photographs it's hard to see what cuffs the tunics have, or whether the tunics feature the front fly covering the buttons, hence it's sometimes difficult to determine what tunics are worn. But I think I can clearly make out that:

Photograph 1-A: Some men on the left half wear the Model 1915/16 (Feld)Bluse?

Photograph 2: Person on the right kneeling wears a Model 1907/10 Feldrock with Brandenburger cuffs?

Photograph 3-A: Guy in front of queue posing wears a Model 1915/16 (Feld)Bluse?

Photograph 3-B: Soldier behind light machine gun wears a Model 1907/10 Feldrock with Brandenburger cuffs?

Photograph 3-C: Is the soldier looking through the telescope wearing a Model 1915/16 (Feld)Bluse?

Photograph 4: Second person to the right I think wears a Model 1907/10 Feldrock with Brandenburger cuffs?

Photograph 5: Like photograph 3-C is the rear skirt on this photograph that of a Model 1915/16 (Feld)Bluse?

Photograph 6: Second person to the left I think also wears a Model 1907/10 Feldrock with Brandenburger cuffs?

So in general I think it's safe to say all three major types of tunics can be seen on the various photographs of this unit?

Rik
    ?

Reminder, I am still hoping a few people can shed their light on my last question (see above). Thanks

?

Since the regiment was formed in November in 1916, I doubt too many, if any of the troops were issued with anything but the simplified M07 or the 1915 Bluse.

?

Have to agree, the 1915 blouse would be the most common. I would disregard the photos of Officers (unless that is who you are modeling) as they purchased their own uniforms. During the war the German army only replaced uniforms and equipment on an as needed bases. Thus you would have differing uniform types within one unit. I've interviewed vets who went through the war in the same uniform.