Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Unit Markings on Zeiss Marineglas Binoculars?

Article about: Hi all. I picked these binoculars up a while back. They came in a British 1916 dated leather case and from what I have read I believe the presence of the large adjustment knob indicates mili

Default Unit Markings on Zeiss Marineglas Binoculars?

Hi all. I picked these binoculars up a while back. They came in a British 1916 dated leather case and from what I have read I believe the presence of the large adjustment knob indicates military issue. I have not been able to find anything out about the markings however. It reads: R 49 1 MG 10. If anyone has seen similar or can suggest if they are unit markings or something else, it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unit Markings on Zeiss Marineglas Binoculars?   Unit Markings on Zeiss Marineglas Binoculars?  

Unit Markings on Zeiss Marineglas Binoculars?   Unit Markings on Zeiss Marineglas Binoculars?  

Unit Markings on Zeiss Marineglas Binoculars?   Unit Markings on Zeiss Marineglas Binoculars?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unit Markings on Zeiss Marineglas Binoculars?
    P
    Many

It's a WWI German marking which stands for Infantry Regiment 49, Machine Gun Kompanie 1, item number 10. Nice find!

Thanks for the reply Motojosh. I had assumed the MG was something to do with Machine Guns, but good to have confirmation. It is odd however that usually with German unit markings the 49 would come before the R, but I suppose there were variations. They are also marked K underneath which I read on another forum indicates that they were sold to an officer, but how true this is I don't know.