Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Value of German M18 ear cut out helmets?

Article about: Get some pics for us to see. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Value of German M18 ear cut out helmets?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Yep! By the way, that is a really nice example that you posted. Do you still own it? If so, can you make out a lot number? Thanks, Jim G.
    Sold it to a guy in Germany on Ebay for about what I paid for it.
    By the way it is a repaint. I know it looks good but that is not original paint.
    I could make out the lot number but did not write it down. The best thing about it was it was unit marked to a machine gun company.

I only sold it cause I had another one. A refurb I got from German Helmets inc. Would love to have an all oringal but am laid off from my industry and had to take a lower paying job. Someone is selling a nice WWII reissue SD on WAF but wants about 4 grand.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?
    P
    Many

Well gentlemen, I was always skeptical of the lid I purchased and I apologize if some of my posts seem "defiant". After further review and appraisals, I finally agree that the lid is in fact blacksmithed. Who ever did fake this lid did an excellent job, but the giveaways are the crown stamp, the blacksmith marks on the ear cut-outs and the way the helmet sits on a flat surface. Thank you to everyone who posted their help!!! I sincerely hope I have not offended anyone.

On a positive note... the size 59 liner that came with my fake cut-out is in near-mint condition. It's in SO good of shape that I assumed it was fake as well... it's not!!! A certain well-known german helmet website helped me verify and appraise the liner ;-) The appraiser also stated that a larger size liner like this can fetch near $300 US. Since I paid $150 for the helmet and liner I will be making my money back and then some! :-) It's currently on fleabay(it has "M1931" in the title...). I'll probably keep the shell as an example of a fake because I someday hope to own an original.

Question: Is my fake lid an original M18 that was modified, or do you think it is a chinese repro that was chemically aged? I'm curious!!!

No problem on this end, and if I got a little curt I apologize as well. Regarding your shell, I think it was an original lid that somebody cut up to turn a $150 shell into a $2000 + treasure. Even if it is a Chinese modern repro it is a decent representation of an M18 cut out that I am sure a reenactor would like and is probably worth more than you paid for it as such, and of course the liner is a bonus. Cheers, Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    No problem on this end,
    Thanks Jim! Everyone on this forum has been so helpful. So helpful in fact, that I was compelled to donate just days after registering.

Here's an interesting side note I received from Brian over at German-Helmets.com:
    So what I know is that there was, about five or six years ago, a WWI reenactor who lived in Pennsylvania who took 64cm ET shells and "modified them" using his blacksmith skills to alter non-ear cut-out helmets to meet the demand for WWI re-enactors. Of course he has now stopped only because a person can purchase a good fake (sort of a cheap looking fake) from China for about $100 these days.
    The stamping on my fake lid almost looks like it was purposely obscured, so it must not have been stamped ET 64 to begin with. ;-)

I was wondering about the Helmet myself. It has stress marks from the Manufacturing process I've only seen on originals but the cut out is done just like a repro. I cannot see the Smith marks you say are there so it's still a mystery to me.

If the Shell IS an original M18 I'd play with it and add some camo paint to it. If done right a re enactor will snap it up. Few would wear an original cut out to events and this one would be an original reproduction! Best of both worlds. hahaha an original repro!

So if you find a size 66 would the making on the helmet be ET66.
    ANd would the cost be close to the ET 64.

Should be on his way now, and can't wait to arrive....
    Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Here he is.
    A helmet I fancy very much. I had one in my former collection, in a far better condition, but I am glad finding thise one.
    A lot of rust and sand fell of during his journey , but there is still some work to do...
    I am showing his best side.
    |<
    Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?

cheers
    |<ris

Hello!
    I think that it is a great helmet. But I wouldn't buy it, because I only collect stuff from wars, stuff that was used in the front (for a exemple, I wound't buy a party visor cap also). I read that this helmet wasn't issued during ww1. And I don't think that the germans used the re-issued one during the poland campaing, where the M35 was used, right?
    Thank you

Hello,
    I couldn't tell you if they might have been used during the Poland campaing, but if you google "Ohrenausschnitt" ,add "helm" or "m18" to it and you will find some pictures of WH infantery men wearing the helmet.Probably during exercises....
    I can't post links or the pictures as they have a copy right.
    cheers
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast