Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Verdun Equipment Relics

Article about: A number of years ago I had the opportunity to visit the massive Battlefield of Verdun - was able to pick up a few items -thought I would post them here as they do pertain to WWI soldiers ac

?

Default Verdun Equipment Relics

A number of years ago I had the opportunity to visit the massive Battlefield of Verdun - was able to pick up a few items -thought I would post them here as they do pertain to WWI soldiers accessories /equipment-

a small relic buckle probably from a strap, a button, couple bullets also the screw-off cap from a potato masher,wire & a "Flechettte" which the pilots threw out of the planes by the hand full over the enemy trenches.

Horst

Verdun Equipment Relics
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verdun Equipment Relics
    P
    Many

Default Re: Verdun Equipment Relics

I believe the French take a very dim view of anything being removed from the battlefields of Verdun. To them it is sacred ground. And as far as I am aware there is a law banning the removal of anything from the site. Tread with care if you ever visit again!

Interesting finds, especially the flechette.

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I believe the French take a very dim view of anything being removed from the battlefields of Verdun. To them it is sacred ground. And as far as I am aware there is a law banning the removal of anything from the site. Tread with care if you ever visit again!
    Yeah, I'm of the same opinion. It is sacred ground; people died there. To me, it just seems like grave-robbing.
    Leave only footprints, take only memories.

?

Quote by NickM View Post
    Yeah, I'm of the same opinion. It is sacred ground; people died there. To me, it just seems like grave-robbing.
    Leave only footprints, take only memories.
    Some of the so called battlefield is being farmed by the locals all one has to do is go behind a farmer that has just plowed and one finds unearthed items like these - I wouldn't call that grave robbing - I would call grave robbing the things that are going on in Russia etc in the battlefields .

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

I am actually suprised anyone is really concerned with the removal of these items, I would of thought this was harmless enough and surely many collectors on this forum would pick up interesting finds if they saw them. There are many relic collectors around and they dont normally get accused of being disrespectful.

Most people who have a genuine interest in these things (distinct from those who are exploiting them commercially) are highly respectful of the fallen. The main point of this forum is for people to share their collections and it would be a shame if anyone was put off doing so by this kind of critiscim. I want to see these things.

Verdun Equipment Relics
    Quote by Horst View Post
    Some of the so called battlefield is being farmed by the locals all one has to do is go behind a farmer that has just plowed and one finds unearthed items like these - I wouldn't call that grave robbing - I would call grave robbing the things that are going on in Russia etc in the battlefields .

Horst
    You are correct.
    The French do it all the time.
    The problem is the metal detector.
    Here my field find In Meuse Argonne never had any problems.
    Sniper shield.
    chris

?

I'm sorry, it wasn't meant as a criticism. It was an observation, a personal opinion, in response and in agreement with the French's view in Harry's post:
    "To them it is sacred ground. And as far as I am aware there is a law banning the removal of anything from the site."

Note I also said "it just SEEMS like grave-robbing." I didn't say it WAS, I just said it SEEMS like it. Big difference.

I'm happy to own "war relics" that weren't scavenged from the battlefield, and refuse to buy items that have been. To me, war relics are items from that era, not necessarily taken from the battlefield where the dead still liie.
    That's NOT criticising anyone, just saying I agree with the French.

I just find it bad enough that the Belgians and the French seem in a big rush to bulldoze the battlefields and build (parts of the Somme come to mind, for a railway line). Given that, and the artifacts being taken, won't be long before there'll be nothing there but MacDonalds and Burger Kings to mark the sites.

These are nice finds Horst!! rare to see WWI artifacts in such great condition.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Đây là một diễn đàn nói tiếng Anh, xin vui lòng sử dụng một liên kết dịch thuật để giao tiếp.Kính trọng Larry

This is an English speaking forum,, please use a translation link to communicate. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill