Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Views on British iron cross used for propaganda ? Do you think its a fake ?

Article about: RARE WW1 ORIGINAL IRON CROSS BRITISH PROPAGANDA RELIC on eBay (end time 31-Mar-11 21:44:19 BST)

?

Default Views on British iron cross used for propaganda ? Do you think its a fake ?

Last edited by Adrian; 03-25-2011 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Photo added.

Default re: Views on British iron cross used for propaganda ? Do you think its a fake ?

banksy, original items, period produced by the British and Americans, originally thought as "Propaganda" items given (when captured) or thrown over to the German lines, one source stating that they were thrown over the lines from aircraft ! however it is now believed that they were made to sell to the british/U.S. public to raise funds for various soldier/wartime charities....I have a small collection of these "Iron Crosses". Here are some......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Views on British iron cross used for propaganda ? Do you think its a fake ?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Views on British iron cross used for propaganda ? Do you think its a fake ?  Views on British iron cross used for propaganda ? Do you think its a fake ? 

?

Default re: Views on British iron cross used for propaganda ? Do you think its a fake ?

Steve, very interesting items, the one you have concerning Dinant even more so because my Town is twinned with Dinant in fact we have a local road called the Dinant Link Road

I don't like the one in question which Banksy has asked about. It certainly should not have that fake 1939 EKII ribbon on it and compared to Steve's original there is a big different in appearance.

Cheers, Ade.

Gents, as Ade has said, the EK II ribbon should not be on...I dont think any of these spoof crosses had ribbons when "new" back in the Great War period, I have seen them attached to leather thongs (no not that type of thong !) to be worn about the neck....as for the one shown by banksy, it does on further examination appear to be made of some sort of "alloy" all of these crosses I have examined/seen and owned were Iron, which with age had started to rust...these crosses are cheap, around £5-10, or even cheaper, I dont see a reason to fake, but hey, what reason do these fellows want these days ! Dave, the cross showing the names of various towns across France and Belguim, including Dinant, was made to highlight the "Atrocities" commited by the German Army on their initial march across these countries in 1914. In Dinant a Saxon Regiment shot over 600 civilians, including woman and children, they thought them " Franc-tireur" (snipers), however it was deemed in a latter investigation that it had been retreating French troops taking "pot shots" from over the opposite bank of the river Meuse ! such is war....I have visited Dinant, stunning little town, still suffering even today with regards this incident.....perhaps the Saxon troops should of recieved this EK ! Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Views on British iron cross used for propaganda ? Do you think its a fake ?  
    Last edited by oradour; 03-25-2011 at 12:01 PM.

?

Just wanted to say thanks to all who helped me ! I decided to give this one a wide birth !