Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What nation do these officers' uniforms represent?

Article about: Can someone tell me what nation the two army officers in this photo represent? This photo was taken in New London, CT in November 1916. The men in this photo are all visitors to the cargo U-

Default What nation do these officers' uniforms represent?

Can someone tell me what nation the two army officers in this photo represent? This photo was taken in New London, CT in November 1916. The men in this photo are all visitors to the cargo U-boat Deutschland. The man on the left of the army officer in the overcoat is Paul König, the captain of the U-Deutschland. Security on and around the State Pier in New London, where the U-Deutschland was berthed, was very tight, and no one was allowed anywhere near the U-Deutschland, much less on her foredeck without Captain König’s authorization, which means that the two army officers and the civilians who are clustered around König had some significance. The officer on the left, partially out of the photo, looks like he might be cavalry, and I wonder if he and the older officer standing next to Captain König might be Austro-Hungarian. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks. Dwight

What nation do these officers' uniforms represent?

?

The army officers both appear to be German, and Austro-Hungarian officers wore a much more cylindrical shako type stiff cap.

BobS

Quote by BobS View Post
    The army officers both appear to be German, and Austro-Hungarian officers wore a much more cylindrical shako type stiff cap.
    Agreed. Definitely not Austro-Hungarian, and while not many details of their insignia etc. can be made out, everything about them matches German uniforms of the period (notice, for example, the two cap cockades for the empire and the respective state).

Bobs: Thanks for that answer. That explains, in part why they are aborard the boat. Based on your information, I think that they are somehow associated with the German Embassy, and the three civilians in the photo too.

HPL800: Thanks for the confirmation of Bobs' information. The Best to you both, Dwight