Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wuerttemberg stickpin

Article about: I bought this today for £25 at a military fair with the intention of butchering it to make an EK stickpin. However, stupid me didn't think before buying and that the pin is in the part I was

?

Default Wuerttemberg stickpin

I bought this today for £25 at a military fair with the intention of butchering it to make an EK stickpin. However, stupid me didn't think before buying and that the pin is in the part I was going to cut off.

However, on cleaning it up, I quite like it, but can't find anything on it on google. Can anyone tell me anything?

The left is an EK with a crown at the top and 1914 at the bottom, the middle item has a head with the words "Wi (Wilhelm?) Koenig von Wuerttemberg" and the right is a wound badge.

Thanks

Wuerttemberg stickpin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wuerttemberg stickpin
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wuerttemberg stickpin

The medal is the Wurttembergian Silberne Militärverdienstmedaille [Silver Medal of Military Merit] also known as the Silberne Württembergische Tapferkeitsmedialle [Silver Wurttembergian Bravery Medal].

(See: http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deu...ille-1892.html [German language])

While you can obviously do as you please with your items and this is admittedly none of my business: Why would one butcher a nice original mulitple-award stickpin to make a simple single-piece EK one? They are not rare; you will certainly be able to find one without too much problems.

?

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Am I right in thinking it would have been a post-WW1 decoration to show the recipient had served in WW1, won the medal, and was also awarded a wound badge?

Re single-piece EK stickpin, the only ones I've found have either been 1870-marked or 1939; no 1914 ones.

Quote by NickM View Post
    Re single-piece EK stickpin, the only ones I've found have either been 1870-marked or 1939; no 1914 ones.
    Hüsken currently has several on offer; see: http://www.huesken.com/shop/de/preus...1914-zwei.html

?

Thanks but they've got the EK1 & 2 joined. I was trying to find an EK1-on-its-own stickpin, hence the intended make-your-own!

Ignore the last, I've just seen one on there! Going to buy, many thanks.

I'm sorry, I know it's none of my business, but how could you "butcher" it?!?!? Please understand when you do things like this you are destroying history. Someone got hurt and displayed amazing courage to earn this. How would you feel if someone "cut up" your pride and joy? All I can say is thank God the EK wasnt in the middle.

?

Yes, to an extent I agree but it was last resort. Happily the trio have now found a place in my WW1 display.
    I am eating humble pie for even considering it.

Quote by NickM View Post
    Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Am I right in thinking it would have been a post-WW1 decoration to show the recipient had served in WW1, won the medal, and was also awarded a wound badge?
    I am not quite sure what you mean by post-WW1 decoration.

The Wurttembergian medal itself was only awarded up until 1918, so it is not a post-war decoration.

However, if you are referring to this specific three-place stickpin, since the WW1-era wound badge was only instituted in March 1918, it is indeed either a very late-war or, more likely, a post-WW1 piece.

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I am not quite sure what you mean by post-WW1 decoration.
    The Wurttembergian medal itself was only awarded up until 1918, so it is not a post-war decoration.

However, if you are referring to this specific three-place stickpin, since the WW1-era wound badge was only instituted in March 1918, it is indeed either a very late-war or, more likely, a post-WW1 piece.
    Yes, I was referring to the stickpin. I was wondering if it would have been awarded (and worn) in battle, or if it was intended as a postwar worn item. What I mean is, would the medal being in stickpin form mean it was intended for wear by a veteran after the war, rather than during it?

Quote by NickM View Post
    Yes, I was referring to the stickpin. I was wondering if it would have been awarded (and worn) in battle, or if it was intended as a postwar worn item.
    Nick....These stick pins are for wear on civilian clothing only (Never on the uniform !) , they were not awarded, but private purchase items by the recipient of the original awards...most of these are post war (WW1) bought. They are collectable in their own right.....I never did collect, however, I have only one in my current collection...a DKiG, all be it a 57'er.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wuerttemberg stickpin  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast