Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?

Article about: It seems we have discovered a previously unknown Pickelhaube maker! Someone with an intimate knowledge of German surnames has hit on it. There is an umlaut over the second letter, and the th

?

Default Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?

I just got a very nice Wuttenberg M-95, in perfect condition, but I'm trying to decipher the maker's inkstamp. At first glance I thought it was Gustav Reinhard, as it looked rather like theirs, but on cleaning it isn't. The first name is unreadable and the second seems to start with an 'R', though I can't be sure, but end with '..richt'. 'Berlin 1914' is clear enough. It is in a double ring, as shown in the photos.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Denton
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?   Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?
    P
    Many

Default re: Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?

Denton, I am sorry but I cant read that mark, my eyes are not that good these days at the best of times !...However, here is site that you may be able to find and compare maker marks...Women Regimental Chefs (ignore the title, it takes you to a very informative site!)
    Hope that helps.....Prost! Steve.

?

hi , tks for posting the link , fantastic site to get lost in ..cheers paul

second name looks like behricht?? if my eyes are working

?

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for that. Very nice. And thanks also Panzerjaeger. Yes, it could be Behricht. I tried that name on the internet without any result as far as pickelhaube makers went, but that doesn't mean anything. A lot are not to be found.
    Just got quite a nice Prussian M-15 with an even worse maker's stamp! 1916 very clear, and size 58, but the makers name impossible. An interesting thing too is that the helmet was obviously re-assembled by someone many years ago, but they put the support disc on top, under the spikebase and sitting across the air-vent, instead of inside. It must have been done a very long time back, as the disc has cut into the leather and has been marked itself from the spikebase on top of it, as well as marking the back spine where it overlapped it. Odd.

Anyway, thanks again to both,

Denton

?

Can't read it, but tried to fix the colors a bit
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?  

QUOTE=DPWICK;172614] An interesting thing too is that the helmet was obviously re-assembled by someone many years ago, but they put the support disc on top, under the spikebase and sitting across the air-vent, instead of inside. It must have been done a very long time back, as the disc has cut into the leather and has been marked itself from the spikebase on top of it, as well as marking the back spine where it overlapped it. Odd.Anyway, thanks again to both,Denton[/QUOTE]

Denton, it is believed that this occured, when after the war, large amounts of liberated Pickelhaubes were shipped back to the U.S.A. to be given out to ''War Bond'' contributors, some of the helmets being reassembled in the states (did you by any chance purchase via the U.S. ?), accounting for the misplacing of the spike mount reinforcing plate on the outside as opposed to its correct position, inside. IMO this error would not of been made back in Germany during manufacture !

?

Default Re: Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?

Yes, I thought of the 'War Bond' helmets, and I'd say you are correct on that one. As I said, it was obviously done a very long time ago, given the impression in the leather, ect. It is now back the right way. No, I didn't get it from the USA. It came from the UK, though I don't know where he got it. Thanks to Theo for the false colour photo! It shows up the stamp very well. The first word could indeed be 'Gustav', but the last one is still difficult. Not Reinhardt. The last 5 letters are 'richt' all right.
    Thanks again to all,

Denton

?

Hi Guys,
    Given Theo's results with false colour, I tried re-photographing the stamp. Here is what I got. It seems the first name is indeed Gustav! But what's the second?

D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?   Wuttenberg M-95: Who made it?  

DPWICK, the only known maker from Berlin, starting with 'Gustav' is 'Gustav Reinhardt', made Pickelhaubes and Tschapka's.....but I dont think in this case the last name is Reinhardt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast