Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW 1 Dated photo Imperial German Army ?

Article about: I came upon ths photo it was in some WW2 german pictures that I recently purchased they appear to be standing either in the shell of a building or a bunker can any one help with the translat

Default Re: WW 1 Dated photo Imperial German Army ?

Mark I could be wrong here but that first pic you posted allegedly in Armentrieres is a bit bewildering. I thought Armentrieres was during the time frame mentioned (1916/17) in allied hands. Germans took possession of the town in 1918.

Quote by Phil Steele View Post
    Mark I could be wrong here but that first pic you posted allegedly in Armentrieres is a bit bewildering. I thought Armentrieres was during the time frame mentioned (1916/17) in allied hands. Germans took possession of the town in 1918.
    According to the wording, it is in front of Armentrieres, not in Armentrieres.
    Best
    Gus

?

Gus are you saying that this photo according to the writing could possibly be a german position just outside of Armentrieres.

Regards Mark K

That is probably more like it "in front" possibly meaning behind German lines but facing Armentrieres. I would say the front lines were about 1km from Armentrieres which was used as a billet for allied troops. The building Mark in your photograph may have been used as an observation point for watching allied troop movement in Armentrieres hence why they are in the attic. Pure speculation might I add but it is possible and I like it.

Phil

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Gus are you saying that this photo according to the writing could possibly be a german position just outside of Armentrieres.

Regards Mark K
    That is correct, Vor, means before, which more correctly translates in front of, or before you get to Armentrieres. This could place the photo's location well behind the front lines. The photo was taken in the attic of a building that could have been used as an observation post, or it could be nothing more than a building that has had damage to the roof, but beobachten means on duty or observing, so it is very likely that it is an observation post. The term "last help" is not something I have heard before and may be a version of forlorn hope.
    Best
    Gus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2