Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW 1 German Camo helmet for review

Article about: A few weeks ago I posted a bunch of helmets that were being sold at auction. There were a lot of helmet collectors there, so I didn't get as many as I bid on. I did get a few though. One was

ww2fotos
    ?

Default Re: WW 1 German Camo helmet for review

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    This ought to be a German M17. These helmets were camouflaged after they arrived at the front. The basic colour has been factory applied. So the olive colour should be on the inside and outside. I mean to say the lighter coloured patches should also be factory olive. The troops then applied, by brush, the darker patches and the bordering. As far as I can make out the lighter patches are also brush applied. That makes me wary.

Have a look at the liner flaps. Are there pockets for the horse hair cushions? Is the leather whitish? Are the flaps sewn on the steel ring? After the factory aplied paint job the marking and size should still be easy to read. Look for two capitals and two figures. For instance ET 66.

As an afterthought, have a good look at the rear of the helmet, near the rim. There might be some indentations from markings. The shape of the helmet makes me say this.

If you put the helmet on a table does it wobble, or is the rim flat on the surface?

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Emile
    Emile - I already stated that I think the liner has been replaced. There are no horse hair filled flaps. The helmet sits flat, does not wobble, and I can't see ANY numbers anywhere. I think the green paint might be covering them up. It appears that the flaps ARE attached to the metal band, after pulling on them, and they did not budge. They must be attached somehow - perhaps sewn - to the metal band.
    Last edited by ww2fotos; 12-02-2010 at 11:28 PM.

2. # ADS

Have a look at the olive colour, inside and outside. Has it been spray gun applied or brushed on the surface?
    Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Have a look at the olive colour, inside and outside. Has it been spray gun applied or brushed on the surface? Cheers,Emile
    Gents, if its been to through a repair station in its military life, it could have either.......hand brushed or sprayed.
    WW2fotos, on an M17 the three leather pads were "crimped" onto the metal liner band during manufacture.
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2