Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Enamelled hinged locket

Article about: Ive had this locket for some years now, It looks better quality than some trench art items that ive seen, I assume it is a low grade silver but I can see no marks on it apart from the 2 line

Default WW1 German Enamelled hinged locket

Ive had this locket for some years now, It looks better quality than some trench art items that ive seen, I assume it is a low grade silver but I can see no marks on it apart from the 2 lines inside near the hinge point.
    It has been enamelled with the imperial cross, 'W' and 1914 date marked out in gilding.

Its a shame that its not named, but still a nice item. I wonder if the the imperial cross signifys that the original owner was awarded the iron cross ? has anyone seen anything similar ?

Greetings Rob,

The EK’s motif was a very popular patriotic one during the war. It was used on many different items to show solidarity with their Soldiers at the front. While the owner who presented your locket to his girlfriend/mother/wife may have very well been a recipient of the EK, the reality is anyone could go into a retail establishment and purchase similar items to show their patriotism/pride without any connection to the actual award.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on picture to enlarge.

Lance is right, The Ek design could be found on
    almost anything.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Greetings Rob,

I found this old catalog's page while searching for other items. Notice the various patriotic EK themed lockets for sale. One locket is close a close match to yours, but without the finer details yours has. Either case, I thought you might find this page of interest.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on page to make it larger.

Hi gents

Thanks for the replies, I see what you mean, they loved their imperial crosses didn't they, that medallion is a dead ringer for mine isn't it.

Quote by rob1713 View Post
    Hi gents

Thanks for the replies, I see what you mean, they loved their imperial crosses didn't they, that medallion is a dead ringer for mine isn't it.
    That they did. The Iron Cross motif could be found on everything from woolen socks to tablecloths, women's and kid's jewelry and beyond. A shame that the enameling on your locket has,apparently, taken a pretty serious hit sometime in it's lifetime, but, I guess, that's part of it's history too. Not worth quitting your job and calling the Tahitian real estate office over, but a nice and interesting piece nonetheless!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default tchotchkes

Was taking a graduate course on the Great War and we read about how the German government had to do little by way of propaganda because the public was so largely patriotic (at the onset). Everyone had patriotic boxes and trinkets in their home, and actively consumed this type of media.