Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Ersatz Bayonet

Article about: Hi Guys, Could you tell me if this ersatz bayonet is the real deal please, Much appreciated. Tony.

Default WW1 German Ersatz Bayonet

Hi Guys,

Could you tell me if this ersatz bayonet is the real deal please, Much appreciated.

Tony.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Ersatz Bayonet   WW1 German Ersatz Bayonet  

WW1 German Ersatz Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German Ersatz Bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW1 German Ersatz Bayonet

Are there any markings on it? There were numerous variations of these. From what I can see it looks good. Would closer pics be possible?

It looks very much like "EB3" on here http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/...%20Ersatz1.jpg

Tony, I only know the basics on Imperial bayonets.....although it probably started life as an Imperial German army issue ersatz bayonet, it is now a shadow of its former self, it probably ended its military life in the Turkish military, the scabbard is not original IMO or at the very least a cut down original as is the bayonet...the Turks made them shorter, the scabbard frog button is not of the shape used by the Germans, and the give away on the actual bayonet are the markings...original bayonets would of been marked with a "Regimental" which would give you information on which Regiment and position in that Regiment the bayonet was held...this one has numbers (as far as I can see!) a typical Turkish mark, a German issue one would not have had those markings.
    Prost ! Steve.

I agree with Steve that the scabbard is definitely not German, judging by the lug for the frog, as mentioned above, and it appears the barrel-ring has been cut to accommodate a different rifle than the one it was originally intended for...
    cheers, Glenn

i also agree with steve and this makes it almost worthless in my opinion because already they are not worth much money so this is nothing great

The scabbard lug looks like "EB22" but not exactly the same Ersatz Bayonets looks like a possible mismatch of bayonet and scabbard.

thanks for the replys guys
    i think its back to the drawing board
    to get a german one.
    one more question did the ersatz bayonet have its own frog
    or did it use the 98/05 bayonet frog if that bayonet was lost
    thanks again
    tony

?

This should be one from many turkish cut-off bayos (most of them were made from german bayos - including ersatz ones). The blade is clearly shortened and scabbard´s rounded frog stud looks purely turkish
    Those ersatz bayos (especially turkish ones) may be fitted with whatever more or less suitable scabbards.

Your example seems me good collectionable item
    Last edited by Bruno; 03-28-2013 at 08:19 PM.