Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Photo Negative

Article about: Hi I just bought this and I question if its real or not however I know little to nothing about period photos or photo negaties so help would be great, now i was able to find a copy of the ph

Default WW1 German Photo Negative

Hi I just bought this and I question if its real or not however I know little to nothing about period photos or photo negaties so help would be great, now i was able to find a copy of the photo in its original form with the people named on it so ill put that with this and i would love to know if its real or fake thanks!

Default Re: WW1 German Photo Negative

Is this a glass negative? It almost looks like a copy made from an original. The edging with the dots is not your "norm"...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

3.25" x 3.25" is a good, quality camera film size. With crop marks
    at the corners, it was likely used for print/publication rather
    than it being an original camera negative.

My guess is that it's a copy also because of the subject matter.
    Original Von Richthofen negs and pics are extremely rare
    and expensive.

Is the image made up of miniscule dots.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

no its not on glass it also is not made of miniscule dots like a photocopy or anything

Richtofen: To be specific, there is no such thing as a fake negative, though I know what you are asking. It's called an internegative, one made by photographing an original photograph (Hopefully) or a multigenerational copy, which is often the case with very old photographs. Large format internegatives, 2 1/2 inches square to 4X5 and 8X10 inch, produced prints that are very close in quality to the original photograph. Unfortunately, the vast majority of internegatives are 35mm, so the the resulting photograph is often, if not usually, of lower quality than the original print. Have you had a print made from the nagative? You might well be surprised at the result because the negative size you have is a good one. One big advantage to working with a large negative is that you can get good quality enlargements if you are after a larger print to frame or mount. You won't have an original photograph, but you could come away with a very nice copy. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Richtofen: To be specific, there is no such thing as a fake negative, though I know what you are asking. It's called an internegative, one made by photographing an original photograph (Hopefully) or a multigenerational copy, which is often the case with very old photographs. Large format internegatives, 2 1/2 inches square to 4X5 and 8X10 inch, produced prints that are very close in quality to the original photograph. Unfortunately, the vast majority of internegatives are 35mm, so the the resulting photograph is often, if not usually, of lower quality than the original print. Have you had a print made from the nagative? You might well be surprised at the result because the negative size you have is a good one. One big advantage to working with a large negative is that you can get good quality enlargements if you are after a larger print to frame or mount. You won't have an original photograph, but you could come away with a very nice copy. Dwight
    hmm ill have to do that then thanks!