Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 German Uniform

Article about: Can anybody tell me something about this uniform? I tried searching the internet but I haven't found any uniform looking like this. For a start, it has two rows of buttons and all the unifor

?

Thank you SK! But could you help me a bit? I can't find the correct info on Wikipedia. Also, could you tell me why these ww1 awards are un this tunic while it's a pre ww1 outfit?

Thanks!

Hi USSR, try this 39th Division (German Empire) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    YOU WILL SEE WHY THE UNIFORM HAS MEDALS ETC.
    Regards SK

?

Thank you SK! Great info!
    The belt of the uniform is missing does anybody have an example how one should like or has one for sale? Also, are there helmets matching this outfit?
    I noticed that the buttons on the trousers are marked "for gentleman". Are these replacements or is it common that Germans used English buttons for their uniforms?

USSR glad to help,, never known English writing on a German buttons before, perhaps replacement or even English trousers, any WW1 helmet would do. I suggest you do some research into the belt. There is a whole forum about belts and WW1 with nice helpful guys.
    Regards SK

?

Thanks! I'll definitely try to get more info on belts!

One last question. How am I suppose to attach the saber to the uniform?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Uniform  

USSR, I'm afraid I do not not know. Again there is a forum...Daggers and Swords of The Third Reich, perhaps Adrian or Larry could help you with your question. Larry is still at the Max Show at the moment. Perhaps post your questions next week.
    Regards SK

Hi, The Sabre is a Bavariam Model 1855 Infantry Officer pattern. It was manufactured by "EC" EWALD CLEFF of Solingen who was registered between the years 1862 to 1965. From what I can gather, they did not produce edged weapons during WWI. I would suggest that the sword that you have is an early specimen. I am no expert on sword straps but in my experience, double ring suspension scabbards were usually slung from two straps. A short strap from the belt to the upper suspension ring which took the weight of the sabre and a longer strap to the lower ring wich tended to hang in a loose fashion. If the strap in your photo actually belongs with the sword, it could be a lower ring strap but it looks a bit too long to me. It could be a single shoulder strap but I doubt it. Sorry that I can not be of more help.
    Cheers Michael R

?

The shoulder boards are for the 171st (2nd Upper Alsatian) Infantry (a captain), while the cap is from a technical unit with a Wurttemberg cockade. The coat is an Officer's Überrock. I believe the coat and cap may go together, but the boards are not correct. As to why WWI decorations on a prewar uniform, it maybe for the same reason there are infantry boards on an artillery coat. Don't get me wrong it is a nice collection of items, I just don't believe they are all from the same officer.

?

Thank you aicusv, so I should replace the shoulder boards to get a more consistent uniform? And is it remotely possible that the awards would be on the uniform? It's a pity the items probably don't belong to the same person, but I would like to make it at least a theoretical possible combination.

?

A veteran may have worn something like this. A couple of the decorations are post war at which this uniform was no long in use.
    If the cap and coat belong together, chances are the uniform is from either the 29th or 49th Field Artillery Regiments. The boards would be the same type as what you have, but ---. Where your's has black and white cord, it would be red and black, the center device would also be different. Check out: Feld Artillerie Plate 1 and Feld Artillerie Waffenrock

Good luck and enjoy your collection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast